King size duvet on a superking size bed?

(19 Posts)
MorrisZapp Fri 13-Mar-09 14:10:20

We've just got a new superking size bed, it's great!

Downside is that the duvets and covers are truly massive, expensive and that bit harder to find. Our winter weight duvet is truly a nightmare to store.

The duvet hangs down quite a bit at both sides and given how big the bed is already, it's not as if we're fighting over it a la the bad old days.

Has anybody gone down a size with their bedding? It would be easier if we used kingsize bedding but I wonder if it would look/ feel daft?

(Obviously we would still need superking sheets)

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 13-Mar-09 14:14:02

envy how big is a superking?

i have a kingsize and have a thick winter double duvet as couldnt be arsed afford to buy another kingsize one

it doesnt look silly over our kingsize and covers us both

sure a kingsize duvet will be okay on a superking

we have a super king bed and couldn't do without a superking duvet. We tend to gravitate to the outer edges of the bed and there's a big gap in the middle which is usually filled by dd1 or 2 (or both) by the morning blush. Unless you are both going to sleep right in the middle I would say you do need a superking duvet. They are expensive but we only one, in winter we use a duvet and in summer tend to go for a massive white sheet as we're always warm. I have to admit I also only bought one duvet cover and I just have to wash and dry it as soon as I take it off. Really must buy another one but they are hard to find. Congrats though on getting the big bed - we love ours so much and always complain when we go to a hotel or something and have to stay in a lowly double bed shock wink

dietstartstomorrow Fri 13-Mar-09 14:17:53

We have a Superking bed, and just use kingsize covers. Works ok for us.

BTW - anyone thinking of getting a Superking bed - go for it, best thing we ever bought!

MorrisZapp Fri 13-Mar-09 14:18:44

Oooh, contrasting advice there! Thanks ladies.

I am LOVING the superking size. I don't know how big it is in feet and inches, but you know that feeling you get when your DP gets out of bed and you're like 'aaaaaah' and all stretched out and comfy by yourself? It's like that, only with him still in it

I was worried it might look daft in our bedroom, ie stupidly big, but it just looks normal.

I'll consult DP about the bedding. I suppose we could easily borrow a kingsize duvet for a trial run. And yes, lowly doubles, pah!

MorrisZapp Fri 13-Mar-09 14:21:39

Anybody looking to get new bedding, the stupidly cheap duvets on ebay are very very good. I'm amazed at the quality and the price is unbeatable, ie about 20 quid for a nice thick superking.

DP is picky and snobby in the extreme but even he can't find fault.

It's the covers that cost the earth, if you want decent quality.

themoon66 Fri 13-Mar-09 14:27:11

Oooh.. ive recently got a superking sized bed - three pillows wide.

Best duvet I've found is a massive Ikea one. It has a covered zip down the middle so you can wash it in two halves. I think it cost around £60. I paid about £30 for the duvet covers which came with 4 pillow cases each. The bottom sheets were about a fiver each.

I guess in part the need for a superking duvet for us could be exacerbated by the fact that dh likes to wrap himself up in duvet like a babe in swaddling. Leaving very little duvet for anyone else.. envy

catinthehat1 Fri 13-Mar-09 14:28:31

Morris - do you have a link for the "stupidly cheap duvets on ebay" please? Would be very interestd.. Thanks v much!

MorrisZapp Fri 13-Mar-09 14:42:15
Blondeshavemorefun Fri 13-Mar-09 15:05:08

problem solved then hangingbelly

give dh a single duvet to wrap himself in and you have the kingsize to yourself grin

catinthehat1 Fri 13-Mar-09 19:02:36

(THanks Morris! V interesting....)

MarlaSinger Fri 13-Mar-09 19:06:24

Super kingsize? envy

We've just got a kingsize bed and that feels like heaven to me - mainly because I sleep with DS in there a lot (just the two of us I mean) so no little feet kicking myback grin

But as yet I am still using the double duvet... I bought a bigger one but haven't gotten around to getting the giant bloody cover on yet blush

Enjoy!

bodiddly Fri 13-Mar-09 19:15:41

we do the opposite .. we have a kingsize bed but a super kingsize duvet so as to avoid any duvet arguments!

MrsMattie Fri 13-Mar-09 19:17:32

I love my super king. Best thing me and DH have bought for the house - ever.

We use a super king duvet, but that's because we are both duvet hogs grin

My mum and stepdad have a super king and use a double duvet each on it.

1gglePiggle Sat 20-Aug-11 19:44:06

Anyone have suggestions for nice good quality duvet covers for a superking? Went to ikea today and despite doing superking beds they don't have superking bedding! shock

We gave in and now have two double duvets on our super king bed. Works much better as I get really hot and DH sleeps like the sausage in a sausage roll.

birdsofshoreandsea Sat 20-Aug-11 19:48:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DilysPrice Sat 20-Aug-11 19:59:55

A double each is deffo the way to go (partly because DH likes his about 5 togs lighter than me).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now