Just fitted new bright red sofa covers - what colour cushions should we get?

(20 Posts)
MarlaSinger Fri 06-Mar-09 20:06:49

See here

Old covers were dark blue so have had allsorts, brown throw, purple-ish cushions, everything seemed to work

but RED

they are v bright

but I need cushions!

skramble Fri 06-Mar-09 20:10:22

Whatabout blue, or different red tones?
Black / grey would be more subtle

laundrygoblin Fri 06-Mar-09 20:10:58

Grey ?

southeastastra Fri 06-Mar-09 20:12:23

aubergine

dragonbutter Fri 06-Mar-09 20:12:47

Gold and sparkly.

MarlaSinger Fri 06-Mar-09 20:15:46

Ooh some different ideas

Room v plain so don't want too subtle - floorboards, brown rug, neutral walls (we are in rented)

These combine half your ideas!

MarlaSinger Fri 06-Mar-09 20:16:38

and these

Orange

southeastastra Fri 06-Mar-09 20:19:14

ooh that's nice, get a couple of plain ones picking out one of the colours on your link too

twoluvlykids Fri 06-Mar-09 20:19:23

If you look at a colour wheel, the opposite (and therefore best) colour to red is green.

You could also try the complementary colours to red.

I'm trying to find you a link for a half decent colour wheel.

twoluvlykids Fri 06-Mar-09 20:21:21
MarlaSinger Fri 06-Mar-09 20:24:19

twoluvlykids - funny you should say that, browsing the ikea site they have a picture of a red sofa with apple-green cushions. I love it. I am spoilt for choice, I thought this would be hard! Think I will go into JL rather than order online.

Lenlen Sat 07-Mar-09 08:22:58

white for the contrast. the effect would be exquisite.

MarlaSinger Sat 07-Mar-09 09:24:18

LenLen I have a toddler and two cats - no way agree in the right setting it would look great though

libbypops Tue 07-Jul-09 11:52:33

what about faux leather black oxford scatter cushions try these www.magicbeanbags.co.uk/gbu0-prodshow/Oxford_Scatter_Cushion_Faux_Suede.html

how about making a statement and buying orange - would look very warm and in the med

!!!!

Or chocolate brown - would match the rug? Or navy always looks nice against bright red?

CherryChoc Tue 07-Jul-09 11:56:58

We have bright red sofas and bright green ikea Granat cushions - it clashes but that's the idea, it looks great and I love it! It also means that DS' toys sort of blend in with the room grin I want to paint the walls sunny yellow, trying to get DH to agree at the moment!

CherryChoc Tue 07-Jul-09 11:58:03

OK the picture on Ikea website of Granat cushions does not do them justice. Wait a sec, will take a pic...

crankytwanky Tue 07-Jul-09 12:03:19

Change the cushion covers according to the season; Gold etc for Christmas, orange & hot pink in summer, autumnal hues in, well, autumn, natch. grin
Maybe a throw too? Primarni have a good cheapo selection.
I too live in rented beige-land, so do this to add some colour, and prevent cabin fever.

CherryChoc Tue 07-Jul-09 12:05:08

OK picture up. I slightly tweaked it in Photoshop because the colours looked washed out and our sofa isn't quite that bright but the cushions are about that colour and it does give a good idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now