Can I get melted plastic off my ceramic hob?!

(10 Posts)
Pesha Sat 21-Feb-09 17:00:41

Had an "incident" this morning with ds1 deciding he wanted to make himself some toast by turning on 2 of the rings of my hob then just leaving it 'when they got too hot'. Luckily he came upstairs where everyone else was (although didnt think to mention that he'd turned the rings on to me hmm) and smoke alarms went off and disaster was averted.

Unfortunately the tray for the highchair and a plastic bowl were on top of the rings and have melted all over it.

I have scraped off as much as I can with a knife while it was still warm but there is still a fine layer of plastic over them. Am thinking of buying one of the scrapers specifically designed for ceramic hobs, are they going to be much better than a knife? Is there anything else I can try?!

TIA

Pesha Sat 21-Feb-09 20:52:39

Anyone???

blossomsmine Sat 21-Feb-09 21:41:43

I've done this before, melted the washing basket on the hob and many other plasticky utensilsblush
Oh.....just noticed yours is ceramic...mine isn't.... I got all of the plastic off by scraping whilst warm and then cleaning with a good cloth and using mr muscle whilst it was also warm. Sorry not much help to you with a ceramic hob....

lucysmam Sat 21-Feb-09 22:15:18

I used a brillo on mine after my oh left it on accidentally & melted some white plastic onto it. Most of it came off without damaging the hob, there's just a patch I can't seem to shift and an quite angry about as it's new!

deste Mon 23-Feb-09 21:00:57

I would heat the top a little and scrape off with one of those scrapers for the hob. I would then use Cif it is very good but scrape most of the plastic off first.

CarofromWton Mon 23-Feb-09 21:09:23

When my MIL accidently melted a plastic plate over my ceramic hob I just left it to cool completely till the plastic hardened and most of it just lifted off. Wiped off the rest with a damp cloth.

I believe professional oven cleaners use a razor blade to take stubborn marks off the hob area but I've never been brave enough to try it!

SoupDragon Mon 23-Feb-09 21:11:29

I use one of those curly brillo pad type scourers on mine.

But I hate my ceramic hob and would rather like to see it damaged. Sadly this has not happened yet, despite the metal scourers.

I melted a set of plastic weighing scales onto the hob the other day and had a complete panick attack as the room filled with fumes.

My son was strapped into his chair - I waited until the plastic had dried and gone brittle and then scraped it off with a knife - good as new!

I felt like a right lemon after calling my husband and begging him to come home as my eyes stang and I couldn't breathe

Pesha Fri 27-Feb-09 19:44:10

Thank you for all your replies. I went to Comet and got one of the scrapers which came with some cleaning cream stuff and have manged to get it all off.

Reading your replies I think I probably should have left it to cool beofre tackling it then it may have come off more cleanly. As it was I scraped with a knife when it was still warm and ended up with a very thin smear of plastic that the knife just wouldn't shift. Luckily the scraper was fab (it is like a razor blade) and it now looks cleaner than it has in years!!

Moneytips - it is horrid isn't it? I had all the windows and doors open all day and still felt sick and got a headache every time I went in the kitchen.

Uzume13 Wed 27-Apr-11 15:50:34

Excellent, thanks for posting this... yesterday, I melted the plastic cutlery holder from my dishwasher by accidentally turning on the wrong hob for my soup :-/ I'm renting the house from my brother too so, hopefully, the scraper thingy I have just ordered will do the job!! I wish I had left it until it cooled though from other comments on here, the smoke and fumes just panicked me so I tackled it straight away. SO happy it's not just me LOL :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now