How can I get rid of condensation, black mould and now fluffy green mould?! yuk

(10 Posts)
WindUpBird Fri 24-Oct-08 09:49:36

House has always been very condensationy in the winter. We had double-glazing put in about a year ago, but the other day I noticed black mould all over the bedroom window sill and around the walls. I've cleaned it off with Lakeland toxic bleach stuff but I know it will come back.
ALSO, just today I've noticed that wicker baskets which live on top of the wardrobe are covered in green fluffy mould...so I've thrown them out.
So...why is my house so mouldy, and what can I do about it?
And would the green fluffy mould have been bad for DS' health, he's 5 months and still sleeps in my room, very near where the green mould was!!

RedOnHerBeheadedHead Fri 24-Oct-08 23:35:14

I found this for you about health risks of mould. The spores can cause health problems. And then there's this about bleach being ineffective on mould.

have you had your house insulated? This may help your condensation problem and help stop the mould growth. Basically if the air is damp or humid, then mould is more likely to grow.

If you notice condensation build-up on your windows in the mornings i would try to dry it off every time.

moshie Sat 25-Oct-08 13:35:33

you need to get the air flowing through the house, ventilation is important, open windows a bit every day. Try not to let too much moisture into the air by drying lots of washing on airers or radiators, having pots boiling madly on the hob or letting steam from the bathroom into the rest of the house.

trefusis Sat 25-Oct-08 13:41:39

Message withdrawn

WindUpBird Sat 25-Oct-08 19:48:27

Thank you so much for these posts...I've been reading the health risks in the links sad I hope DS doesn't end up with asthma as a result. I wondered about a dehumidifier, looks like we will have to get one.
I'd thought we might not need to insulate the house as it's mid-terrace, but will look into that too.

hazeyjane Sat 25-Oct-08 19:56:15

If your ds already had asthma, it might affect him (we have this problem with dd1). Air purifiers fitted with a HEPA filter can help remove mould spores in the air. Dehumidifier should help with damp (but you may still get some mould). You can buy an anti mould paint which can help. I use a spray of water and tea tree oil (bleach really sets dd1 wheezing) and it is really effective on all sorts of mould, but won't prevent it returning.

WindUpBird Sun 26-Oct-08 12:00:05

oh good, I've got lots of tea tree oil, I didn't realise that would work., I'll use that from now on. I'm quite anti toxic chemicals round the house normally, I just thought in this instance the bleach might work...
Dumb question: So there is a difference between a purifier and a dehumidifier?!
It's funny, I just never thought of the house as damp, but it must be to get all this mould.

Notquitegrownup Sun 26-Oct-08 12:07:37

Dehumidifiers suck the moisture out of the air. They have a tray which you empty - it's amazing how much they can collect. I guess that purifiers filter out impurities through some sort of filter system - but haven't used one.

Echo Moshie's idea of having windows open a crack whenever possible. Our neighbours had double glazing fitted a couple of years ago after having double glazing fitted, and they have ben battling mold ever since, using a dehumidifier, plus having windows slightly open.

inscotland Mon 27-Oct-08 19:56:53

Open your windows. It makes a big difference. Try and not dry too much washing over radiators/airers.

LoveBeingAMummy Fri 31-Oct-08 07:01:48

Blimey glad we're not the only ones, completly refitted this house when we bought nearly two years ago, its heart breaking to see mould on the walls sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now