What temperature have you set the thermostat on your heating at?

(129 Posts)
ja9 Tue 21-Oct-08 22:10:41

just wondering if there is a norm for this time of yr...

zippitippitoes Tue 21-Oct-08 22:44:55

i think it s irrelevnt because it just depends where the thermostat is hoiw accurate it is how responsiove the heating is and it certainly doesnt refletc a comparable temperature in the house never mind outside

my boiler is bust and i havent switched the heating on yet anyway but no hot water is a pain

Tiggiwinkle Tue 21-Oct-08 22:46:08

Ours is at 22 but if it is set any lower the heating never comes on. The thermostat has been put in a really stupid position, upstairs next to the airing cupboard. It is always warm up there so the heating does not kick in if we set it any lower.

zippitippitoes Tue 21-Oct-08 22:48:14

i dont think it has been that cold this year except during the summer

and i live in a really cold house

lou33 Tue 21-Oct-08 22:52:39

my thermostat is in my bedroom

zippitippitoes Tue 21-Oct-08 22:55:10

i put a note through my neighbours door asking if he d like to do me a favour a nd fix my boiler

cthea Wed 22-Oct-08 18:20:06

My thermostat is like Twiggi's above, never comes on if set under 22 and in a bad position (opposite the airing cupboard). Drives Dh (CORGI qualified) insane. Needless to say, installed by somone else.

I remember too many cold ev4enings when growing up. It's one luxury I can afford, even if it spoils my otherwise green-ish credentials.

zippitippitoes Wed 22-Oct-08 18:22:05

my neighbour has not offered to come and stoke my boiler so i am shock he is turning down such a good offer lol

cthea Wed 22-Oct-08 18:22:58

I'll have a look through the bills, maybe we should turn it down a bit. I turn it off when I leave, though, back on again when I get in.

15 - saving money by freezing norks off

SqueakyPop Wed 22-Oct-08 18:26:26

Mine is set at 16 right now. If I feel chilly I will turn it up until it clicks, and vice versa.

I have it 'on' all year round, but with the thermostat turned down in the summer. For some reason, the electronics on our system are wonky, and if we turn the CH completely off, we also turn off the HW. It all works though, even if the thermostat is set to 5C.

slayerette Wed 22-Oct-08 18:27:26

Ours is at 18 but heating only set to come on for an hour or so in the morning. We are surviving the evenings with hot water bottles, fleeces, slippers and blankets at the moment - determined to last until at least half term!

lizziemun Wed 22-Oct-08 19:24:58

18 most of the time, but i adjust it whether it is hot or cold.

cat64 Wed 22-Oct-08 19:38:13

Ours is a bit irrelevant - it's the thermostats on all the radiators that do all the heat restricting, and they are done in numbers, not temperatures. Our actualy thermostat says 24degrees, but most people put a coat or jumper on when they come into our house, as the rads are turned down low smile

forevercleaningwithmybesoms Wed 22-Oct-08 19:41:39

25 marvellous smile- wont be so marvellous when the bill comes in blush

tuesdayafternoon Wed 22-Oct-08 19:43:08

It depends which way the wind is blowing & how strongly. (Honestly!)

DoubleBluff Wed 22-Oct-08 19:44:46

Mine is 20, any mower and the heating goes off and it is freezing. Is there a fault with mine?!

WhereWolfTheWildThingsWere Wed 22-Oct-08 19:46:59

15 for 1 hour in the morning.

My sil's is set to 30 shockshockshock.

tuesdayafternoon Wed 22-Oct-08 19:55:24

There are loads of factors, DB, like where it's sited (eg opposite airing cupboard, near radiator, next to draughty door), whether your house has cavity wall insulation, & if you generally keep internal doors closed (or your DH leaves 'em all open, & a few windows too for good measure grin)

KittyFloss Wed 22-Oct-08 19:57:05

If it gets chilly I just put it on full whack for 15 mins, heats the radiators up, then they stay hot for AGES. Our flat is too small to have the heating on constantly, gets way too warm.

sagacious Wed 22-Oct-08 19:59:41

Trying to resist more than an hour in morning/evening

elsiepiddock Wed 22-Oct-08 20:00:05

Just looked at mine as I had no idea..

It's at 23, which seems a bit high compared to others on here. But live in a drafty 400 year old house.

CatIsSleepy Wed 22-Oct-08 20:01:26

19 at the mo but am always messing about with it

heating is on about 45mins in the morning, 3 hours in the evening

leelee1234 Mon 07-Jan-13 13:17:27

From September to May I have mine set at 35 from 7am - 11pm and 25 when in bed. June to August it goes down slightly to 30 during the day and still 25 when in bed. In winter I also have the fire on most of the time. I love being nice and warm!

mychildrenarebarmy Mon 07-Jan-13 13:25:31

16, and at the moment it's set to come on for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. It was horrible when I used to nanny for a family who had their heating set to be on all day with the thermostat set at 27. The first thing I did every day when I arrived was turn it down.

18-19 degrees, on for a few hours in the morning and in the evening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now