Is it cheaper to have the heating on LOW all the time or on a timer set for mornings and evenings?

(24 Posts)
milkybarsrus Thu 09-Oct-08 22:01:47

some have said its a false economy to have the heating on a timer as the house gets cold then needs to warm up for a few hours, and that its better to have it on low 24/7. What do you think please?

Orinoco Thu 09-Oct-08 22:03:04

Message withdrawn

RGPargy Thu 09-Oct-08 22:03:06

I'd like to know this too please!

KatyMac Thu 09-Oct-08 22:03:50

It depends upon your type of boiler & your level of insulation tbh

what do you have?

Flossish Thu 09-Oct-08 22:04:43

gulp.

I have mine on at 21 degress.

Kewcumber Thu 09-Oct-08 22:04:49

I'm never sure but unless its exceptionally cold I find it gets too warm having the heating on all night - even at the lowest temperature.

Lilyloo Thu 09-Oct-08 22:04:58

I was told it's cheaper to have it around 15 constantly rather than set times too!

KatyMac Thu 09-Oct-08 22:05:01

oh & your method of heat dispersal

balismum Thu 09-Oct-08 22:05:21

me too, i keep it on low (16 or 17) and turn the thermostat down if we are out all day. someone told me this was more economical but not based on any hard facts at all...

milkybarsrus Thu 09-Oct-08 22:06:53

I have a 4 year old combi boiler, and double rads everywhere. (feel cold now i've just typed that brrr brrr).

sleepycat Thu 09-Oct-08 22:08:03

I keep ours on 15/16 all the time unless it gets too warm at night and then it goes off and back on in the morning.

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Thu 09-Oct-08 22:08:49

see i would be freezing if it was 15 in my house.

milkybarsrus Thu 09-Oct-08 22:09:52

A question to all you 'constants', does your house feel cozy and warm or is there still a nip in the air?

KatyMac Thu 09-Oct-08 22:10:17

OK

Small double glazed windows cavity wall insulation 8 inches of insulation in the roof then maybe

Underfloor heating (with well insulated base) the probably

Combi boiler - possibly not

There are way too many variables to make absolute answers

but if you have it set at say 15 - if no heating was required,it wouldnt come on though, and once the air was colder, it would fire up the boiler - ok.?
so isnt that the same as putting in on yourself?

balismum Thu 09-Oct-08 22:13:30

milky - small house well insulated feels fine. small consolation for not having a big period house with high ceilings!!

NotAnOtterinaPoolOfSpew Thu 09-Oct-08 22:16:58

hmm i often wonder this
my house is a shudder ( sorry that was my teeth chattering) victorian end terrace ( Old Vicarage) with 6-8 bedrooms huge cellars and los of big cold rooms with draughts and high ceiings

bolier is small

milkybarsrus Thu 09-Oct-08 22:19:44

I've got a 4 bed semi on a hill (very exposed) reckon on paying appx £80 a month with heating on in the morning and from 4 - 10pm? But I feel cold during the day as soon as heating goes off so was wondering about trying the low constant method?

milkybarsrus Thu 09-Oct-08 22:21:08

p.s haven't got it on yet and my nose is cold!

horsemadgal Thu 09-Oct-08 22:22:38

I was told if you had an old house with high ceilings etc then to keep it on constantly, working from the thermostat to suit.
But if newish house then to put it on as and when required as better insulation etc so easier to heat.

i was told to keep it on low - the reason was gas is so cheap - obviously not now. so perhaps it is all changed?

milkybarsrus Thu 09-Oct-08 22:24:39

Have got a sixties house with double glazing but no cavity wall insulation. Do you think that will help with costs?

NotAnOtterinaPoolOfSpew Thu 09-Oct-08 22:25:20

thanks horsemadgal

InTheDollshouse Thu 09-Oct-08 22:47:13

I wondered this recently too. I found this from the Energy Saving Trust website:

FAQ

Is it more economical to leave my heating on 24hrs in the winter?

Answer

No. It is a common misconception that it is cheaper to leave your hot water and heating on all the time. Boilers use more power initially to heat water from cold, however the cost of this is greatly exceeded by the cost of keeping the boiler running all of the time.
The best solution is to programme your heating system so that it comes on when you need it most (possibly early morning and in the evening), and goes off when you don't need it (when you are out of the house or asleep). There are a range of controls that can be used and your heating engineer will be able to provide you with the most appropriate solution.
Depending on your circumstances it may be necessary to keep the heating on all day during winter but it will cost more than if you turn the heating off when you don't need it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now