Cleaning a belfast sink

(6 Posts)
MrsMattie Mon 15-Sep-08 17:59:28

We've got a new kitchen with a great big white 'Belfast' sink. Lovely - except I'm already struggling to keep it clean. It seems to need to be scrubbed with a scourer on a daily basis or it gets all scummy and horrible. A faff!

What cleaning products should I be using on it? Should I scour it all the time or not?

Also, does anyone know of where I could get a large plate drainer / rack thingy to fit across the sink?

FromGirders Mon 15-Sep-08 18:10:35

the very best thing i've found is Barkeepers Friend. It's a bit expensive, but very effective, gets all the stains off. Nearly as good is Astonish multipurpose orange cleaning paste - I found it in my local pound shop and it lasts for ages. Bicarb does a pretty good job too.
I don't do that every day - get is all clean and sparkly with barkeepers friend first, then make sure you rinse it well and wipe it with a clean cloth after you do the dishes.
I got a draining rack for mine from Ikea - mine is an Ikea sink so it fits perectly, but the rack is extendable, so should fit most sinks I'd think.

MrsMattie Mon 15-Sep-08 18:41:34

Thanks so much@FromGirders!

Califrau Mon 15-Sep-08 18:47:38

The absolute best thing for a Belfast sink is a washing up bowl. I kept mine underneath. It really does stop teh sink form getting trashed. Mine was a salvage one so wasn't in 100 condition to start with but it was FAB. I miss that sink. We had a tall dish drainer to the side. I got it from an odd shop on the back road between Baker St and Marylebone stations and promptly left it on the blimmin train and had to go back up to London to collect it! It therefore cost a blimmin fortune. Did a good job tho.

MrsMattie Mon 15-Sep-08 21:00:27

Thanks Califrau. I've got a washing up bowl, but it's a standard sized one and gets lost in my big old sink! I'd love a big one. Wonder if such a thing exists?

GentleOtter Mon 15-Sep-08 21:02:18

I use Ajax on mine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now