Smell of wee in toilet that I can't get rid of, no matter how well I clean

(7 Posts)

Since a few weeks there is a smell of wee in my toilet, and I can't seem to get rid of it. I have cleaned it twice a week with Domestos for the loo, and normal all-purpose cleaning liquid for the surfaces (incl. floor)but it doesn't help. There are no obvious stains, although there is a slight yellow edge where the lino meets the base of the toilet, but that has always been there. Any tips what I should use or where I should clean? Help greatly appreciated!

onebatmother Wed 18-Jun-08 23:12:57

I bleach the floors as well, and leave it to soak in a little, esp with lino.

Collision Wed 18-Jun-08 23:13:09

you need a new loo seat.....ours was the same til we changed it!

herbietea Wed 18-Jun-08 23:14:47

Take the loo seat off and bleach every nook and cranny in/ on it. Do the same to the loo when it is off or buy a new seat like Collision says.

TsarChasm Wed 18-Jun-08 23:18:58

Ours was exactly as you describe and it turned out the toilet was leaking very slowly onto the floor and had soaked into the floorboards.

It was horrible and smelly. I was constantly cleaning it until we worked it out.

Dh said the seal on the toilet needed replacing, which he did. Personally I'd have called a plumber, but he did it cos it saved money. He did a good job, but it wasn't pleasant.

We ripped up the carpet and threw it out. I then scrubbed the floor with all sorts of claning stuff and we left it bare of carpet for a month to dry out and to make sure it was ok.

Would it really be as simple as a new loo seat? going to try that. I hope the toilet is not leaking, that is a lot more work!

Tsarchasm, where is the seal you say might need replacing and how do I check it?

TsarChasm Thu 19-Jun-08 08:29:10

Yes try the seat first. Hopefully it's that.

The seal is at the back where the toilet is attached to the outlet pipe. It's like a big black rubber ring seal tightly between the toilet and the pipe to stop leaking between the join.

It's quite visible on ours, but I guess various toilets might have a different set up.

If it is that, it's not something I would have been able to attempt. You have to be strong enough to get the toilet off for one thing. Dh only did it in a quest to save paying for a plumber. Not a nice job though, I think he wished he had got the plumber in at one point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now