Cleaning grey pan marks off a butler sink ...

(16 Posts)
RubySlippers Wed 02-Apr-08 15:07:58

what can i clean the marks off with?

there are lots of grey "scratch" marks on the bottom of the sink from when i have been cleaning pans etc

tried bleach - am sure i have heard pumice is good but i could be wrong

TIA

BeauLocks Wed 02-Apr-08 15:09:42

I'll be watching this thread. I have the same problem!

poshwellies Wed 02-Apr-08 15:11:40

Same problem here..wouldn't a pumice scratch?

RubySlippers Wed 02-Apr-08 15:13:34

that is what i thought, but i am sure i read it in The Times (think Aggie from how clean is yuor house has a column in the paper)

BeauLocks Wed 02-Apr-08 15:14:37

You go first!

RubySlippers Wed 02-Apr-08 15:15:32

LOL beau!

i double dare you to go first

grin

BeauLocks Wed 02-Apr-08 15:16:13

grin

PotPourri Wed 02-Apr-08 15:17:08

Cream cleaner, or bicarb on a cloth. Yes they are slightly abrazive, but once hte scratches are there, there's nothing else for it really. I use ecover cream cleaner and find it brings it up really nicely

WendyWeber Wed 02-Apr-08 15:17:17

Have you got a microfibre cloth? Have a go with that first - they seem to be able to shift most "stubborn stains"...

poshwellies Wed 02-Apr-08 15:17:51

guess we should all buy a horrible plastic bowl so we don't get scratches

poshwellies Wed 02-Apr-08 15:34:37

Just found this..

"Whilst fireclay sinks are extremely hard wearing, there are a number of points to consider in order to keep your sink looking its best. Richard gave me a few tips here too. “You can clean everyday stains such as tannin from tea, coffee or red wine with a non-abrasive liquid or cream cleanser – try using ‘Cif’ or washing up liquid," he says. "To remove really stubborn marks such as pencil thin grey lines from aluminum saucepans I recommend ‘Astonish’ paste"

and heres the linky for Astonish

www.lakeland.co.uk/product.aspx/solutions/kitchencleanup!20564?src=gakts&sq=astonish%20paste

RubySlippers Wed 02-Apr-08 15:42:50

bicarb - have that already so will try tonight
microfibre cloth - will buy one

thanks for the link PW smile - i used to use that astonish paste for stainless steel stuff

Mung Wed 02-Apr-08 15:48:20

I use a pierre d'argent and my sink comes up really clean. Nothing works as well as that and I have tried bicarb, vinegar, household cleaners...
My Mum told me that she had seen an equivalent with an English name the other day too.

BeauLocks Wed 02-Apr-08 16:08:16

I've tried cif - it just dried out my smooht and silky hands. smile

I use astonish on the aga (not hot plates obv). Will try it tonight and report back.

RubySlippers Wed 02-Apr-08 20:44:42

i used bicarb on the sink and it removed around 90% of the marks

it may well have removed 100% had i not got bored of scrubbing blush

anyway, it looks MUCH better

poshwellies Thu 03-Apr-08 16:20:56

I bought some astonish today and have used it-it works!

Got a nice gleaming sink now smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now