the best way to peg your washing out

(114 Posts)
WideWebWitch Wed 09-May-07 20:45:24

I hang stuff on hangers ON The line and then when it's dry it goes straight onto clothes rails. Cuts out all the pegging, taking off, folding, taking upstairs, only to hang again.
Changed my life, it did

cece Wed 09-May-07 20:44:51

I also pair up socks as I hang and give everything a good shake before hanging in order to avoid creases.

cece Wed 09-May-07 20:42:01

Now lets see....

I have 4 sections to my rotary dryer, I section is kept specifically for underwear and socks only. That way I know there are enough pegs in that section and don't have to spin around looking for extra pegs.

I am sure someone will comment on my keeping the pegs on the line - no peg bags here

Trousers upsdie down hung from the legs.

T-shirts and tops also upside down.

As I remove from line I fold into piles. 1 pile per person so they can be distributed easily to each bedroom.

No ironing here, except for DH work shirts. They are done 10 shirst once a fortnight.

I hang my bras out on the outside of the line as I have large noorks and my neighbour relies on chicken breast!

DrunkenSailor Wed 09-May-07 20:40:12

I peg Tshirts at the bottom as well. If it's not very windy I fold as little as possible of the garment over the line to get the pegs on, but obviously you'd fold more of it over if it's windy to avoid it blowing off the line.

Heaviest part of the garment downwards for most of it - trousers by the ends of the legs, etc. Not sure if this is the recommended method.

It's supposed to be Not Very Naice to peg out underwear, or leave any washing out overnight. We ignore the first rule but stick to the second as in our case we get wee biting flies all over it.

If it rains a bit on it I've been known to just let it dry again, as rain makes it soft and fresh.

Try to pair up socks as I hang them.

Put the thickest heaviest stuff at the blowiest end of the line, if you have one.

A breeze softens the clothes but still, sunny days can make them stiff/rough.

Remember that if you hang a heavy woolen jumper or something up, its weight when wet could stretch it out of shape.

I have just given up ironing in the hope of partially offsetting my dishwasher .

MrsBadger Wed 09-May-07 20:40:03

oh, and wrt to arrangement on line I do it however it best clears the barbecue at one end and the roses at the other, so normally small stuff at the ends and big stuff in the middle.

bottoms by their tops and tops by their bottoms. My mum hangs mine out all over the place and it does my head in - sooo ungrateful aren't I. Ohh and I hang my smalls on the inside of the line (rotary one btw).

MrsBadger Wed 09-May-07 20:38:25

towels and similar flat things pegged by an edge
sheets and duvet cases - rather than flinging over the line so half hangs down each side, peg one edge then bring opposite edge up and peg too so you have a 'bag' - no crease line down the middle.
peg trousers, pants etc by waistbands
peg socks by toes
peg bras by the bit with the 'eye' fasteners on
and I hang tops on hangers then button up and peg hanger to line (0 ironing in this house) but some people peg by bottom hem.
I sort stuff as I hang it out so socks etc get hung next to their pairs.

If it gets rained on hang indoors on airers (or put out if it's stopped) till dry but never leave out overnight.

Some people dry underwear indoors, presumably to spare their (and their neighbours) blushes at the sight of their knickers, but I have no such qualms.

(heavens I must be dull to ahve written such a long post on laundry...)

DeviousDaffodil Wed 09-May-07 20:37:28

I peg on waist bands and seams to avoid peg marks. I know waht you mean about knickers I think people are embarassed to hang their knickers out as the neigbours will know what they wear!
I don't care though.
I hang larger items on the outer edge and smaller ones in the centre!
Don't know if I am right, but it workd=s for me!

DanielAndOmi Wed 09-May-07 20:37:18

I have a whirly thingy and always hang the small items on the inside - bigger stuff on the outside. Always put socks together in pairs. T-shirts deffo pegged at the bottom, and trousers bi the legs (is that wrong?) Knickers with just one peg. DH's humoungous trunky pant things with two pegs.

LOVE this thread!!!

fruitful Wed 09-May-07 20:36:03

So what's wrong with hanging your trousers by the bottoms?

nickytwotimes Wed 09-May-07 20:33:44

you're opening up a can of worms here friutful!!
rumour has it that some people here hang their trousers up by the bottoms!!!!!!!

seriously though i hang mine smallest to largest, heaviest part of the item down (usually). if it gets rained, just a rinse or a spin as rain makes it softer.

no such thing as not ironing though!

I don't know if this is the most effective method but I peg the bottom part of the tee-shirts so the wind can blow into them and make them billow out like sails. Avoids peg marks on the shoulders too.

fruitful Wed 09-May-07 20:29:22

I'm inspired by the AIBU thread (honest).

I've only had an outside washing line for a month and am therefore a pegging-out novice.

Please tell me your methods for pegging your laundry out so it dries quickly, and doesn't need ironing, and is easy to sort and put away.

And what do you do if it gets rained on (in the absence of helpful neighbours)? Wash it again? Leave it? Spin it and hang out again?

And my neighbours don't seem to wash their knickers ... None on their lines, anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now