the best way to peg your washing out

(114 Posts)
fruitful Wed 09-May-07 20:29:22

I'm inspired by the AIBU thread (honest).

I've only had an outside washing line for a month and am therefore a pegging-out novice.

Please tell me your methods for pegging your laundry out so it dries quickly, and doesn't need ironing, and is easy to sort and put away.

And what do you do if it gets rained on (in the absence of helpful neighbours)? Wash it again? Leave it? Spin it and hang out again?

And my neighbours don't seem to wash their knickers ... None on their lines, anyway.

MrsWho Fri 11-May-07 20:20:36

Noone has mentioned matching pegs
pegs have to be paired with ones the same colour and if possible mathced to the clothing too!

Also has noone got one of those liitle things that you hang socks andlittle things one?Usually found in betterware and the pounshop?

Spidermama Thu 10-May-07 23:48:35

Night night LL. Happy peg dreams.

laundrylover Thu 10-May-07 23:44:11

Sorry Spider not Spoder

laundrylover Thu 10-May-07 23:43:28

Ah well, at least the plants are enjoying this rain eh?

My nappies were dry in record time today, even the bamboo ones which take ages....oh, I'm sooo sad, I'm off to my bed. Who in their right mind develops a chat room habit about hanging washing FFS!!!

FlossALump Thu 10-May-07 23:43:16

DS's socks aren't baby size, he's two but they do stay up.

laundrylover Thu 10-May-07 23:41:35

Spoder, that is a genius idea for a spcial jumper..sadly mine are all 10 years old and well past such care and attention.

Merlin Thu 10-May-07 23:41:32

If only LL - it's still raining at mo, so thought it best to bring it in.

laundrylover Thu 10-May-07 23:40:23

Merlin, leave it out and it's be dry and crease free after a windy night!

No pegs!! But don't you get a big crease through all your clothes? I'm afraid us OCD peggers cannot compute. How do your baby socks stay on the line??

Spidermama Thu 10-May-07 23:38:54

For jumpers put a pair of tights inside and peg the tights (waitline through jumper neck and feet through jumper arms) instead.

Merlin Thu 10-May-07 23:35:06

Not in the rain! Ever the optimist I put mine out this morning - it'll only be a shower I thought! By the time I got round to bringing it in this afternoon it was wetter then when I first put it out

FlossALump Thu 10-May-07 23:34:46

Just over the line. My garden is quite sheltered and things stay on as long as I hang them properly!

laundrylover Thu 10-May-07 23:33:24

How do you hang your washing out then?

FlossALump Thu 10-May-07 23:32:42

I don't use pegs at all!

laundrylover Thu 10-May-07 23:26:54

Ooh Panth. that might make me do that trip to the lakeland shop that I've been meaning to do for ages.

Did anyone else enjoy an unexpectedly perfect drying day today? Two loads out and dried for me so I'm a happy bunny.

Panth Thu 10-May-07 17:25:12

Seen as everyone here seems to have an opinion on pegging, thought I'd share my lovely new pegs with you all, v impressed with them and they're lovely colours too Lakeland pegs

laundrylover Thu 10-May-07 14:22:58

Fruitful, I'd say by the tip of his hat?

DD1s Pink Bunny (original name eh?)is flapping by the ears today. They get so grotty don't they, specially wih greasy Epaderm hands fondling them all night!

MuminBrum Thu 10-May-07 13:51:59

Tops by the bottom, bottoms by the top, definitely. Socks in pairs by their toes. DS's socks go into a little laundry bag in the machine to keep them out of the flange. Knickers hung up by one side, except for DP's giant dad-pants which are hung up with two pegs. Towels by their edges, unless they have a non-pile band close to the edge, in which case that bit goes over the line and is pegged three or four times to keep the towel even. Babygros (not that anyone in our house wears them any more) have to be turned inside out before they are washed - I had a few hand-me-down ones that had a ton of grot in each foot, even though they were clearly fresh out of the machine - and must be hung up by their toes.

DeviousDaffodil Thu 10-May-07 13:37:54

I take great pleasrure in hangign teddies by the goolies on the line!!

fruitful Thu 10-May-07 13:36:38

And what is the MN-approved method of pegging one of these out? Ds has two (one in the wash, one in bed) and he sucks them so they needed washing a lot! No knots in his any more. And it has to look like it doesn't hurt...

fruitful Thu 10-May-07 13:29:24

Well I read half of this and then went and pegged my washing out.

Everything that will get hung up went straight on a hanger (on some thingies from Lakeland to keep the hanger on the line).

Trousers from the top, t-shirts from the bottom (the ones that need keeping in shape were on hangers anyway). Socks in pairs. Pegging one side only to let the wind in didn't work as its too windy out there - they were going to take off I think.

All nicely sorted - I've a 4-sided whirly so that's one side for each member of the family. Bit of a faff that, think I'd rather sort it when it comes off the line.

Anyway, came in, had lunch, put ds to bed, read the rest of this thread, looked out the window - its RAINING!

And the problem with having stuff on hangers is it is harder to lob it in the basket and get in the dry quickly. And you can't just give up and chuck them in the drier!

I've never had stretched hems from pegging t-shirts upside down! They're just not that wet when they come out of the machine, there's a non-heat spin cycle.
They might stretch if they were left out in the rain to get soaked. My nappies once pulled the whole line down in a storm they got so heavy!

SlightlyMadScarecrow Wed 09-May-07 23:42:44

I told you my babygrows don't get peg marks - they go straight in teh tumbler. I don't have enough pegs for all my white washing given it is usually underware & babygrows. I serously counted 60something items in a single load once. I don't have time to peg 60 seperate items....

Nikki76 Wed 09-May-07 23:40:30

Christ if I added a sprig of mint to the clothes I think MIL would die and go right to heaven!

SlightlyMadScarecrow Wed 09-May-07 23:39:42

I also wash and hang dark/bright clothes inside out (unless they NEED to be washed the right way) so that the sun doesn't bleach them. Especially given that I do most of my drying in my bright conservatory during winter..

FiveFingeredFiend Wed 09-May-07 23:39:17

Put do you peg out your smalls?

With babygrows the best way is to hang them inside out and from the feet. From the garden i like to add a sprig of mint. As clothes are inside out, and insects from herbs will be hopefully remain on the outside ( as it was on the inside iyswim).

Fresh & laundered and better than synthetic tumble dry sheets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now