Can I wash my duck down duvet in the washing machine?

(12 Posts)
Psychobabble Fri 23-Mar-07 15:20:49

It's a big machine and the duvet will fit. Also have a condenser dryer which senses when stuffs fully dry so should be able to dry it ok. Any reason why I shouldn't? Am too lazy to go to the launderette

Psychobabble Fri 23-Mar-07 18:10:24

bump. Anyone??

Psychobabble Sat 24-Mar-07 20:54:23

please don't make me go to the launderette.....

ebenezer Sun 25-Mar-07 12:38:53

I wouldn't have thought so. Mine cost a lot of money so maybe thats why I'm scared!

quokka Sun 25-Mar-07 12:42:46

its fine as long as you have a decent washing machine - but you have to tumble dry it completely bone dry otherwise it will smell of wet feathers! When you put it in the tumble dryer try putting a tennis ball in, it will help move the feathers around so it will dry easier.

finknottle Sun 25-Mar-07 12:43:37

I did - big machine too, extra water if you have that option. And tennis balls (new or v clean) in the dryer to help the duvet dry thoroughly. Was recommended on the dc down-filled jackets. I use the balls for pillows etc too. They bounce around and stop the clothes/pillow sticking to the side so they're more evenly dried.

quokka Sun 25-Mar-07 12:43:53

I wash my down and feather pillows as well every so often and they are fine as well .

finknottle Sun 25-Mar-07 12:44:13

x-post with Quokka

ebenezer Sun 25-Mar-07 14:46:44

I might try washing mine now - feeling a bit braver!

Psychobabble Sun 25-Mar-07 19:31:38

thank you! Think I will try next time we have a sunny day so I can air it outside afterwards. Will be sure to post if it's a total disaster!

Daniellesmummy24 Wed 10-Jul-13 10:42:00

This is sick and I doubt any one wants o no but will it get rid of child excrement. I've never washed my duck duvet and don't have the facility's to go to a laundrette or access to a tumble..... HELP!!

wizard9 Sat 03-May-14 15:05:30

I notice that tennis balls were recommended to lift the down feathers. Would laundry balls (these are hard plastic nodules) do the same?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now