Have really wrecked a sheepskin

(9 Posts)
JanaOfTheJungle Tue 02-Sep-14 20:07:44

My daughter was given a sheepskin by my dad and slept on it at night. She accidentally wee'd on it and I just stuck it in the washing machine and dried it over the banister. Now it is hard as a rock and she is very very sad. sad I suck.

Can I rescue it?

MrsGubbins Tue 02-Sep-14 21:12:52

Following.. identical situation here, wet sheep don't go rock hard do they?!

PigletJohn Tue 02-Sep-14 23:06:02

hand wash in shampoo.

You will have to air-dry on the line, fairly quickly, as the skin is dead meat and will stink when it rots.

EBearhug Tue 02-Sep-14 23:07:53

I did this. It is recoverable. I can't actually remember what I did as it was a few years ago, not to the skin bit. The wool bit I did brush a lot.

jenniferb67 Wed 03-Sep-14 02:48:08

If it is a sheepsking intendend for babies or bedbound people to prevent bedsores, you can wash & dry it in machine. My kids have sheepskins that have been with them for 9 years, through many cycles of washing & drying. Wool cycle on machine, dry on regular setting, good as new!

JanaOfTheJungle Wed 03-Sep-14 08:39:46

I guess it wasn't treated or whatever, because it was NOT okay being washed in the machine and line dried. Am softening it in the bath with wool detergent now. We'll see.

PigletJohn Wed 03-Sep-14 08:56:24

The leather needs to be a bit oily to keep it soft. Shampoo, and dry hair conditioners, prevent your hair being too dry so are better than ordinary detergents that strip away grease. I don't know if there is another common cleaner that would add oil back. Ordinary leather dressings could be applied to the back surface to soften it. Possibly skin cream would do it but I've never tried.

I spray my hide gardening gloves with WD40 to soften them after washing, but it smells a bit funny.

JanaOfTheJungle Wed 03-Sep-14 12:22:12

I've oiled it with olive oil now and stuck it on the line. Let's see!

JanaOfTheJungle Wed 03-Sep-14 15:19:24

It has worked! Wow! It wasn't drying fast so I popped it in the dryer for half an hour on a wool setting and it came out nearly dry but still very soft. grin grin grin grin

So happy. And so is my daughter! Thank you all! grin grin grin thanks thanks thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now