Hand mixer needed

(6 Posts)
PigeonPie Mon 01-Sep-14 17:48:41

I have come to the decision that I need a hand mixer. I have a hand blender, a Kenwood and a Magimix, but I think I need a mixer for cakes when I can't be bothered to get out the Magi etc.

But which do I want? The Kitchenaid ones are hugely expensive, but are they worth it? There are other less powerful ones, but I'm lost in the whirr of what to get.

All help / experience gratefully received

Sandthorn Mon 01-Sep-14 20:26:16

I have a dualit one... Considerably cheaper than the kitchen aid, and pretty businesslike. Sensible people do not follow the instructions to try using it for mashed potato hmm

PigeonPie Mon 01-Sep-14 20:44:33

Thank you Sandthorn! Is this Dualit one the one you've got? If it is, how heavy is it?

I did read a review on Amazon about someone who used one for mashed potato and did that hmm face too!

Sandthorn Mon 01-Sep-14 21:29:30

I think that's the more up to date version of mine, but probably quite similar. It's a bit on the heavy side, but I kind of equate that (probably spuriously) with build quality. I wouldn't want to stand with it for hours, but if I was doing anything that needed that, I'd use the kenwood. For the time it takes to do a meringue, it's fine, and easy to clean up. Have had it for ~4 years, using once or twice a month. Would probably buy the same again.

PigeonPie Tue 02-Sep-14 09:17:57

Thank you smile

Bunbaker Tue 02-Sep-14 09:21:39

I bought DD a Breville Pick and Mix one for Christmas. It has proved to be excellent, and won't break the bank at £15.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now