Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Freeze ahead meals

(7 Posts)
Discopanda Sun 31-Aug-14 21:48:54

Hi ladies, I'm having my second baby in April (first is 2 and a half) so thinking about preparing some freezable meals that DH can prepare easily just after I give birth. I ended up living off toast and biscuits with my first as I could barely leave my bedroom thanks to constant breastfeeding. I'm vegetarian and he's a complete novice in the kitchen so I'm thinking of getting a couple of pyrex dishes so I can make some pasta bakes or a veggie shepherd's pie to freeze with an instructions label on them. Has anybody tried freezing their meals ahead of child birth and, if so, do you have any tips or ideas? Thanks :-)

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 31-Aug-14 23:48:27

Could you get some foil trays with lids? That way you can freeze in portions and write on the lids. At the moment I'm trying to cook double, so if we make a lasagne, we make two and stick one in the freezer smile

ItStillLooksLikeRainDear Sun 31-Aug-14 23:57:51

Stews are handy & you can do a variety of them.

Bake a load of potatoes, cut in half, scoop out & mash with a cream cheese & spring onion. Refill, sprinkle a little grated cheese on top. Pop them on a baking tray & in the freezer. When the are frozen bag them up.
To reheat just pop in oven from frozen for half an hour. Yummy as a snack or accompaniment to a meal.

Frozen mash is handy to keep in too.

Discopanda Mon 01-Sep-14 00:52:56

Brilliant, thanks smile

NotTheKitchenAgainPlease Mon 01-Sep-14 01:10:08

Can you make pasta sauces and bag or jar them up? Falafel mix (not that much of a faff - soak dried chick peas overnight, the next day whizz in a food processor with some onion, garlic, salt and pepper and freeze in batches).
Good luck smile

Dhal is great, can be eaten with rice or Indian breads, also "hearty" veg soups with pulses, rice, pumpkin or potato in them. Freeze in portions and buy a load of cheese or granary rolls and freeze them too, they take no time to defrost and can be a pretty filling meal.

Icelollycraving Mon 01-Sep-14 07:46:34

Yes,I bought those foil cartons & froze lots of meals. Stews,curries,lasagne,bolognese,cauliflower cheese,chilli really freezes well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now