Urine in carpets and rugs

(8 Posts)

Help! We have a new puppy and I care for an elderly relative with dementia in my home. I therefore have quite frequent urine in carpets. What is the best way to get it out? Have been googling but I have found most advice on American sites and we have different brand names.
Is baking soda, bicarbonate?
Can you name any good brands of enzyme cleaner? Is that what febreeze is?
Have you any good tips for cleaning? I already do all I can along the lines of avoiding, but both puppies and confused old ladies can be hard to manage ... especially if you work and have children as well.

muffliato Thu 28-Aug-14 15:08:57

When dd was potty training we used bicarbonate of soda. It's not the same as baking soda.
Chucked a load on the area affected and let it overnight and hovered in the morning. It did the trick.

wowfudge Thu 28-Aug-14 15:27:40

I beg to differ muffliato - bicarbonate of soda and baking soda are one and the same!

Not to be confused with baking powder or soda crystals, which are sometimes called washing soda.

You can buy Simple Solution and Mr Muscle odour and stain removing products from the likes of Pets at Home. They contain enzymes which destroy the smell of urine - designed for pet accidents, but they work on all urine stains/spills and also vomit, I believe.

Febreeze isn't the same thing, as far as I am aware, it will temporarily mask the smell, but it won't get rid of it at source in the same way baking soda/bicarb and enzyme containing cleaners will.

We have an elderly, doddery dog who doesn't always remember to let us know he needs to go out/can't move fast enough - the Mr Muscle odour and stain remover is my product of choice, but I haven't tried bicarb.

Pancakeflipper Thu 28-Aug-14 15:40:45

For cats using biological washing powder (I prefer liquid) to wash carpet works so probably works for other situations . Then spray with a mix of surgical spirit and water -apparently that removes the smell and stops repeat wees from animals.

muffliato Thu 28-Aug-14 16:25:44

Oops thanks fudge, noted. blush

tobiasfunke Thu 28-Aug-14 16:34:49

www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/Products/CN0069/simple-solution-urine-destroyer?utm_source=google&utm_source=cpc&utm_campaign=ps_productTargets&CAWELAID=720017470000028428&gclid=CJfo64qktsACFQLJtAodTnwABA

you need this - or some of the other simple solution products- you can get them in Ptrs at Home or some supermarkets. They are an enzyme cleaner so get rid of biological smells- vomit, urine, poo etc etc. I use it for the cats and the kids.

tobiasfunke Thu 28-Aug-14 16:35:08

Pets not ptrs.

Thank you ... will be visiting Pets At Home ... in the meanwhile, will use bicarb!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now