Cleaning leather sofas

(6 Posts)
threeislovely Wed 27-Aug-14 23:19:45

So, I just managed to get a sofa from a facebook selling site. It's lovely, really comfy and fits the space just right.... But it's pretty dirty!

There are a few stains on it (blue-ish), which I am not sure I can get out. But the rest just looks like dirt in the creases of the leather. So, I am now after your top tips for cleaning the leather - I have googled and found massive contradictions, so am turning to the bible that is MN ;)

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 27-Aug-14 23:44:07

I use a cream cleaner I got from a furniture shop. Don't be tempted to use polish spray or wet wipes!

threeislovely Thu 28-Aug-14 13:11:21

Thanks - went to the shop and bought some leather cleaner. Have been going over it for 2 hours and it now looks much, much better. Still 3/ 4 stains and a couple of scratches, but nothing awful. Thanks for the advice.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 28-Aug-14 14:37:23

Glad it's helpingsmile

starving Thu 28-Aug-14 21:13:12

Ink is almost impossible to come out. When I got my suite I got a leather care kit with at and in it was an ink stain remover. It looks a bit like a pritt stick. Haven't had to use it yet so cannot comment on its usefulness.

threeislovely Fri 29-Aug-14 09:25:32

Found a furniture repair kit on Amazon so have ordered it to see how it works...

Beauty of this is that because the sofa cost less than I have sold a lot of stuff for I am seeing it as a free sofa. It's perfectly functional, so at the worst case, I will put a throw over it. The kids seem quite happy lounging on it and I am not panicking about the new kittens running all over it!

In the meantime, I am learning how to clean sofas in case I ever mess up my nice, expensive one grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now