Cleaning the grout on a tiled floor.

(9 Posts)
pigwitch Wed 27-Aug-14 14:50:25

Ive recently had my kitchen and hallway tiled. I have made the mistake of having light coloured grout that just doesn't come up clean enough around the oven/sink etc. I don't want to damage the grout but was wondering what products I could use to get rid of the blemishes. TIA

fiorentina Wed 27-Aug-14 22:00:05

Bleach? Or we used soapy water with oxyclean on our floor to clean the white grout we inherited that had turned grey.

pigwitch Fri 29-Aug-14 17:37:00

Thanks for the reply smile

AlpacaMyBags Fri 29-Aug-14 17:39:30

I make a paste of bicarb and soda and water, and scrub that on the grout with a toothbrush.

Frontier Fri 29-Aug-14 17:51:18

Everyone once in a while I put neat beach on it and leave it while I go to work, then mop when I get home. Not ideal, as you need a full day when no-one's going to want to walk on it and you can keep DC out but I haven't found another way.

Once it's clean, Kim & Aggie recommend painting the grout with matt floor varnish to stop the dirt sinking into the grout but I haven't tried it.

Foirentina, How does that work? Just a bit of oxyclean in the bucket or is it more difficult that that?

kelda Fri 29-Aug-14 17:53:55

I scrubed it but you ahve have to be careful not to damage the grouting so I then painted over it with a special grouting paint. It worked very well.

ChaosK Fri 29-Aug-14 18:19:23

What is this "special grouting paint please? I need some, as I have tried everything (except Aggie's varnish ... <pondering>..

PigletJohn Fri 29-Aug-14 20:20:56

I've heard tilers say that floors should be grouted in dark grey, as white never looks clean.

fiorentina Fri 29-Aug-14 21:07:18

We used very neat flash and then added the oxyclean to that and mixed it in, probably creating a chemical cocktail but used a brush. Ours was truly disgusting from the previous owner, definitely worked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now