diaries...

(24 Posts)
Keenoonvino Wed 27-Aug-14 14:49:58

I realise that this is probably the least important thread ever.....but humour me smile

I like paper diaries...I like to see things written out and it works for me. I don't want to go digital! I have a nice paper blanks yearly diary one that I keep in my handbag so when I'm out and about i can add appointments into it. At home, I take it to office, kitchen etc if I need to add anything. I also put my work bits and pieces in there (conference calls etc) - as I work very part time from home for myself!

I want to get a family calendar for the kitchen, but have avoided so far as I think that will just mean constantly copying everything from one diary to the other.

What do you all do?

Artura Wed 27-Aug-14 22:10:35

I have an organised mum weekly planner on the pinboard in our kitchen. Every Sunday update it for the week, with a meal idea for the evening. Really helps to see it on the wall, still love my a5 diary though. Recently bought myself a filofax but not sure about it yet....

Keenoonvino Fri 29-Aug-14 07:47:38

Yeah I had a Filofax but didn't like it...it was too bulky for my bag. Possibly just need to be copying things out then every week....just really think something will get missed....

WingsClipped Fri 29-Aug-14 13:30:44

I relied on paper as well. Except DH kept asking me daft questions about addresses and dates even when I had told him 10 billion numerous times. Now I use a small calendar kept in the kitchen and the rest is on outlook which gets synced to both our iPhones.

Keenoonvino Fri 29-Aug-14 16:07:54

How do you sync an outlook calendar to 2 iPhones if you have partitions on your computer?

superram Fri 29-Aug-14 21:09:48

You just give each other access to your outlook calendar so you can see one or both. My husband doesn't bloody look at it but does mean I get first dibs on nights out as outlook calendar is binding!

madamemuddle Fri 29-Aug-14 22:41:15

Ooh no, digital all the way here. I like all the minutiae in my appointments (i.e. full address, notes, etc.) and I don't like having to rewrite things for various different diaries and calendars.

I still love paper though.

EmNetta Sat 30-Aug-14 12:43:47

I've an appointments calendar in the office part of the kitchen, large enough for general items, and a small, personal diary kept in handbag, only important (to me) items transferred here from "main" version - no problems so far.

I love my filofax. It contains everything! Personal size and I use it as my wallet too so it goes everywhere with me.

AlpacaLypse Sat 30-Aug-14 13:14:51

I've tried several digital methods but always revert in the end to my trusty A5 week-to-a-view diary. There's something comforting about low-tech solutions.

However, it did all go terribly wrong when I had my bag nicked from under the seat of my car. Although my phone and my keys were in my pocket and the purse only contained a tenner, it also had my cards (pest to cancel), my bank paying in book and THE DIARY!!!!

Mrsmost Sat 30-Aug-14 17:35:34

I have a personal sized filofax which I love , it's just the right size for my handbag .
I have different sections in it for work , home and for my little one along as a diary , I use little post it notes at the front for little reminders and shopping lists etc ,it's perfect And I would be seriously lost without it.
I really couldn't get the hang of using my iPhone plus it's always a lovely feeling crossing something out in my filofax when I've done something & remembered something .
Paper all the way for me ����

I had an organised mum life book for many years, but decided it was a bit bulky and for the past couple of years I've bought the smaller diary. Still fab.
Use the meal planner and lists in there. No need for a family planner for the kitchen as I'm the only one who does the bloody organising!

WingsClipped Sun 31-Aug-14 22:10:18

To sync outlook to however many iPhones or iPads you want, just invite attendees and then when you open the email invite on your iPhone or iPad you can click to add to calendar. It means you see every appointment/event which comes in.

Wolfiefan Sun 31-Aug-14 22:14:54

Just got a Moleskine one after a recommendation on here. I also have a family calendar in the hall that shows me the next month.

Keenoonvino Mon 01-Sep-14 07:43:07

Thanks for the tips about syncing iCal.... I may give it a try.... But keep my paper diary!

I like the sound of the moleskin personal diary. Have had a paper blanks one for a few years now and ready for a change!

OneLittleToddleTerror Mon 01-Sep-14 07:48:47

Sorry digital here. All of iCalendar, google calendar and outlook syncs.

I can even see DH work diary so I know days where he has no meetings. (I can book trades to come on those days as he can work from home).

The diary is then on my laptop at work, on my phone and iPad. Same as DH. He has no excuse of not knowing. I will just tell him to look at the family calendar.

It's the size of my phone when I go out too.

wonkylegs Mon 01-Sep-14 08:07:04

For years I stuck with a paper diary but finally went over to my iPhone as it beeps reminders at me which with my terrible memory is a godsend.
We do have a paper family calendar (Gruffalo one) in the hall & entries onto that are binding, last one on has to find a babysitter - DH has got better at putting stuff on since this rule as he missed out on a big night out as I'd already put mine in & he couldn't find a babysitter so last minute.

OneLittleToddleTerror Mon 01-Sep-14 08:38:16

For meal planners look at things like pepperplate and paprika. They are fab. Makes your shopping list for you too. Also DH preps before I get home so he can look on has tablet and find what he needs to do before I get home. (Recipes are linked to the meal plan. And I import them either from online or kindle books).

Todo lists you have apps like todoist (what we use), wunderlist, remember the milk. All of them you can have personal and shared lists. All can be viewed on multiple devices.

Honestly cloud syncing is the best thing ever!

OneLittleToddleTerror Mon 01-Sep-14 08:38:50

The last post is to morecrack btw.

r2d2ismyidealman Mon 01-Sep-14 22:18:39

My diary is a special gift to myself each year and I keep them as reminders of past years. My oh wanted a shared diary, synced Google diary was his preference but I just couldn't handle having two. We just occasionally sit down with a coffee and literally sync. Works for me!

Oakmaiden Mon 01-Sep-14 22:26:41

I found THE perfect diary 2 years ago. The Collins Home and Work Diary. It let me be soooo organised.

Of course, last year they stopped selling it in this country.

Which I realise isn't helpful. But I am still vexed.

marymouse Tue 02-Sep-14 17:15:51

I have a big family calendar, if its not on the calendar it doesn't happen. I also have a paper diary which I take everywhere, dh and I both work shifts so if I'm out and about I can just check in my diary and instantly know if were available or what's happening.

Mumstudentbum Thu 04-Sep-14 15:01:59

A5 filofax here and I blooming love it!! Just seeing my week written down before my eyes is brilliant I was so unorganised before I got this. We also have a family calendar on the wall for DP and a pin board for letters and notes

ginorwine Thu 04-Sep-14 22:58:27

Oakmadien - I have the Collins home and work diary - I got it online in the uk . Can't remember which web site but have a search it's avaloable!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now