Reorganisation of kitchen

(11 Posts)
Freebirdy Wed 27-Aug-14 08:59:46

This is probably the most boring thread ever and I'm sorry in advance!

I'm rehoming all my pets in the next few weeks (major change in circumstances, not laziness) and am thinking I could take it as an opportunity to clear my kitchen and make it all organised. I'll be freeing up at least one big cupboard and have another which is filed with unused appliances (juicer, George foreman).

I constantly have to force things into cupboards, but then feel like I never actually have any food in the house so there is something terribly wrong with me...

Any hints on storage solutions?

I threw all my tuppaware out because it makes me cross but I've got some pyrex dishes which do the same job, they're not really stackable so take up more space than I'd like.

If you've not died of boredom yet, please help all you perfect domestic goddesses!

JimmyCorkhill Wed 27-Aug-14 09:18:59

'unused appliances' - get rid of them!! Unless you mean, 'rarely used' then You may keep them wink

This blog page helped me

10 steps to an organised kitchen.

Kimaroo Wed 27-Aug-14 09:26:30

I did this recently and only kept stuff that stacked inside each other. E.g. Tupperware and plastics, I have a round stack, a square stack and an oblong stack. I keep all the lids stood up in a large square Tupperware.anything that doesn't fit - OUT!
I chucked out 30 old mugs and had a shelf spare so put Pyrex stuff on that, stacked but not precariously like the old days! Also my pan cupboard is like a dream now. Frying pan stack and saucepan stack instead of thrown higgledy-piggledly in and impossible to get out! I feel a new woman and it has inspired me to attack the spare bedroom. Not yet, I'm still working up to it. But thanks to the kitchen, I Know It Can Be Done. Good luck!

wowfudge Wed 27-Aug-14 09:57:09

If you don't already have any, buy some racks and extra shelf bits and pieces which will help you get more into the cupboards, but keep it accessible, like this and this. Those are from Lakeland, but you can get them from other places. For example, in one single wall cupboard we have all the everyday crockery, including mugs and you don't have to lift and take small plates out to reach the dinner plates. Less risk of damaging things too.

tipp2chicago Wed 27-Aug-14 12:51:40

I have all my saucepans hanging on a rail over a counter. The rail is from B&Q and so are the hooks & fixings. It's so much easier than fighting with them in a cupboard/drawer.

That's it, that's all my ideas.

I am waiting for someone to invent the perfect back-of-cupboard-door spice rack though.

Freebirdy Wed 27-Aug-14 13:58:18

Ha ha tipp! That's funny! My kitchen is absolutely tiny so I can't really hang anything. I'm going to look into cupboard stacky things. And I'm going to get all my food out and repack it.

tipp2chicago Wed 27-Aug-14 14:07:00

While you're tidying, do a stocktake so you know what you have. Wholesome Ireland has a template here and you might save a few bob over the next few grocery shops.

Freebirdy Fri 29-Aug-14 08:18:59

Has anyone used anything like this? I've no idea if it would fit in my cupboard but I have a couple of corner cabinets where everything just gets lost behind the corner.

http://m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/art/60215291/

BauerTime Fri 29-Aug-14 14:36:10

I'm currently re-organising my kitchen and ive taken all unused appliances and put them in the cupboard under the stairs. If i haven't used them by Xmas they are gone. I can not believe how much space ive freed up.

ElBandito Fri 29-Aug-14 23:02:58

YY lakeland, I've just got some of these www.lakeland.co.uk/24415/Caddy-Stack-Storage-Caddy
I've found they enable me to fit more in high cupboards with less chance of stuff bouncing off my head when I get them down.

LuisCarol Fri 29-Aug-14 23:13:07

Bin all unitaskers. Anything that only has one use has no use. Things like a garlic press or an egg separator.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now