Opti-myst/pretend fires/dimplex..anyon e?

(19 Posts)
minkah Mon 25-Aug-14 17:06:30

I've started thinking of nights drawing in and started hankering for a pretend fire for my bedroom. I know it's potentially high on cheese factor, but I don't mind that.

I just wondered if any if you have experience of fan heaters masquerading as wood burning stoves. Too nosy? Too dry a heat? Convenient ..remote control on off switch!

Any and all input appreciated.

minkah Mon 25-Aug-14 17:06:55

Noisy! Not nosy!

noddyholder Mon 25-Aug-14 17:09:54

I went to the launch of optimyst Very very good Purely electric ones are terrible

minkah Mon 25-Aug-14 17:26:04

Hi noddy!

What is it that's terrible about the purely electric ones?

noddyholder Mon 25-Aug-14 17:30:59

They are really noisy and unrealistic and the heat is dry. The optimyst has a little water tank which moistens the air as well as looking like 'smoke'. The cream 'stove' is very nice or you can buy a simple basket with logs or coals and do your own

minkah Mon 25-Aug-14 17:42:12

Ah, noisy and dry. That was a concern. Can always have a container of scented water around, I guess, but noisy ...that's much less manageable.

I like the look of the cream stove!

Opti-myst looks to me like a definite investment, like you really DO want a pretend fire, definitely. It's v. £££.

The one I was looking at , the courcheval, has a remote control, which really really appealed, cos I could turn it off or on from in bed!

I think I should endeavour to see these fires in real life before purchasing!

noddyholder Mon 25-Aug-14 17:46:21

Yes there are lots of places to see them if you go on the website and enter your postcode. Its the only fake fire I would ever consider but agree its an investment so check it out first.

DoingTheSwanThing Mon 25-Aug-14 20:34:20

Very pleased with our optimyst. Pretty convincing effect and the fan is nice and quiet. Not cheap, but a heck of a lot cheaper than opening up chimney and moving gas pipes - I'm still comforting myself with that!

I am currently eyeing up this little beauty. The effect is very realistic and the fan didn't seem very loud.

minkah Mon 25-Aug-14 22:14:01

Which one is that mrsalwaysright?

Noddy, I've looked up my nearest showroom possibility and that's my next step, thanks for telling me about website postcode look up thingie.

ghostisonthecanvas Mon 25-Aug-14 22:21:49

I have the dimplex courcheval. Blimey its noisy. Its on just now. Telly up at 34 instead of 26.

ghostisonthecanvas Mon 25-Aug-14 22:23:46

And the remote turns the fire on or off so if you want just the fire effect you have to switch the fans off manually.

minkah Tue 26-Aug-14 13:00:53

Oh ghostisinthecanvas! Thankyou! That's my fantasy about that one killed!

I have to find out if the top of the range ones are quiet enough..

Otherwise it's phillips hue lighting and maybe a portable gas fire that doesn't look too bleugh..

I'm craving cosiness for this upcoming fall and winter, I really am.

minkah Tue 26-Aug-14 13:03:10

Mrsalwaysright, that looks fabulous. Truly fab. It's sooooo££££ !

But covetable, indeed.

MinimalistMommi Tue 26-Aug-14 17:46:58

I've spent a week in the company of the optimist when visiting and I thought it was pretty cheesy and the most coming out was a bit ridiculous. I also wondered about how good it must be for a room to have steam gradually being sent out all evening in terms of damp etc? Surely it mustn't be good for fabric of house?

minkah Tue 26-Aug-14 22:32:15

I think the suspension of disbelief factor is required for these fires. There's an element of panto.

The steam itself, I don't know. I'll ask when I go to a showroom!

noddyholder Tue 26-Aug-14 22:51:07

They vary in panto effect the stoves are good The DIY log bed is good if you are able to construct a realistic surround I have seen this done well in a v contemporary warehouse apartment with a reclaimed brick chimney

The Chesney stove will be mine! just got to convince DH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now