Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Best air freshers???

(16 Posts)
Bigbanger Thu 21-Aug-14 15:10:20

What air freshers/diffusers etx do you find actually work?

I have a air wick spray thingy in downstairs WC which is great, but not tried in a larger area! Also like dented candles etc that I burn in kitchen but bit keen on using these all over house!

What about these defusers? Do they actually last or dry out after a day or two?

minkah Thu 21-Aug-14 16:31:53

Open the window wide.

For cat litter or post vomit badness..neutraliser spray or gel in a pot.

For actual smell creation, essential oil burner.

pud1 Sat 23-Aug-14 11:25:17

I was just going to create a thread asking for an air fresh recommendation.

My dog has started farting like hell. It's vile.

I bought a Jo Malone read difusser. It cost a fortune ( for a bloody airfreshner). And I am unimpressed with it tbh

I know that plug ins are fake smelling and there is nothing better than fresh air but I can't leave the windows open when out as I am all ground floor and I hate walking into a house that smells shut in. I open windows when at home but I would like an extra burst of nice smell. I am in a flat and keep internal doors propped open so if I use anything like a plug in or diffuser I need a few of them so I don't want to pay ££.

Sandthorn Sat 23-Aug-14 15:21:41

Pud, it's probably time to change the dog's food. We had ours on the same stuff for years, then one of them started doing the most diabolical farts. Don't know whether it was a reformulation, or whether the dog developed a sensitivity to it. Either way, when we changed them onto another type of food (same brand, but low-allergy), the stinky farts stopped, and the farty dog suddenly looked years younger and fitter.

blodynmawr Sat 23-Aug-14 17:29:08

My tips would be:
1. All windows open regularly to air entire house (mainly at weekends in my case).
2. Avoid plug ins as they are a fire hazard as well as fake smelling.
3. Reed diffusers all the way for rooms you want a nice smell in. Next and M&S do cheapish nice ones that smell good, and M&S sometimes have 20% off events on homeware. We have this Next one at the moment in the downstairs loo. It is £20 for 400 ml so will last ages.
HTH smile

Apollonia6 Sat 23-Aug-14 21:58:50

The Next diffusers mentioned above are the best I have tried, I don't buy any others now. They last ages, even the smaller size you get a good four months out of them (which is actually a pain if you buy one of the Christmas fragrances!) You can turn the reeds upside down every so often if you want a stronger blast but it's not really necessary and you do need to be careful not to flick any of the liquid about while you're doing it.

Sixpencenonethericher Sat 23-Aug-14 22:35:22

I love yankee candle reed diffusers clean Cotton is my fave

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 24-Aug-14 07:54:47

I've got a dorma reed diffuser but its not as strong as the wax lyrical one we had.

Fevertree Sun 24-Aug-14 08:02:45

I use zoflora! A spot on a damp cloth wiped over every surface After cleaning, also down the sink, on a sheet of kitchen roll in the bottom of each bin, and in with the soap I use to mop the floor. I also open all the upstairs windows every morning and the downstairs windows every afternoon. Hope that helps!

hollyisalovelyname Mon 25-Aug-14 09:40:08

Rituals reed diffusers are lovely.

EmNetta Mon 25-Aug-14 10:25:47

After a few years without aerosol fresheners, I tried Morrison's Pure Linen in downstairs loo - one of the best and least intrusive scents ever, and amazingly cheap too. Being at home daily, open windows are effective for rest of the house, but this is ideal for visitors.

Petitgrain Mon 25-Aug-14 10:46:22

When it comes time to put the heating on, put tumble dryer sheets over the radiators. It's cheap and gorgeous smelling, I've done this everywhere I've lived and people always tell me my house smells great. I worry about fire risk with unattended candles, and air fresheners usually smell dreadful and cloying. Those ones you plug in smell really vile IMO.

Petitgrain Mon 25-Aug-14 10:48:16

But yes, more importantly all windows thrown open for at least half an hour a day, longer if you can.

hiddenhome Mon 25-Aug-14 18:13:42

Open windows.

Wipe surfaces down with antibacterial cloths and a decent quality reed diffuser.

I also tried a Prices candle once and that was good at neutralising smells.

chinamoon Tue 26-Aug-14 10:05:49

I open windows all the time (but DC shut them again.) Also use anti bac sprays. But the house often smells stale. I think the air just doesn't circulate well.

Best solution I found was to rub a bit of favourite fabric conditioner behind the radiator. Then when they heat up the house smells of fresh linen. But need something more powerful for teen boys rooms. Any advice on them?

Rizzlekicks Wed 27-Aug-14 00:40:45

I bought a water-vapour type thing from Muji and put it in the room where the cat's litter is. You put any scented oil in it and it is amazing - goes for three hours and is very eco-friendly. I got a big bottle of the lemongrass scent and it makes the whole house smell amazing. You can control the lighting on it too so if you had it in a living room at night, you can turn the soft light on - love it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now