USELESS PRODUCTS

(30 Posts)
hollyisalovelyname Thu 21-Aug-14 13:44:23

Duzzit microfibre Silver Polishing cloth- Useless.
Allura make up remover cotton wool pads-( only a pound from poundland I know but I had to work hard for that pound) - absolutely crapola.
Pur waterproof mascara remover. You can't see out of your eyes after using this product.
Sometimes I wonder are products tested before being released onto the unsuspecting public!!! smile

Tell me yours.
Call them out.

hollyisalovelyname Fri 22-Aug-14 08:17:45

Bump

Panzee Fri 22-Aug-14 08:21:59

Any cotton buds that aren't Johnson & Johnson. My dad had to get a cheapo one removed by the nurse. grin she said that since a new pound shop opened nearby she has had to do this procedure more and more.

Tanacot Fri 22-Aug-14 08:41:49

Natural Clean and Dry Carpet Cleaner does absolutely nothing. It's just a carpet perfume, there's no cleaning involved.

Yes, why are all other cotton buds so awful? I always think there can't be that much difference and then I buy a supermarket own brand type version and they are uniformly rubbish.

Astonish Oven Cleaner, the salt paste one, is about as effective as just making a salt paste (I tested this in a fit of pique one day), which is not to say it doesn't work... eventually... just about when you think your arm might fall off.

hollyisalovelyname Fri 22-Aug-14 08:43:47

I agree re Johnsons cotton buds. They are the best- I have thrown other brands out because they were useless.

wishingforwillpower Fri 22-Aug-14 08:56:22

Any dry shampoo I've tried that isn't batiste - makes my hair look grey.

SlatternLovesLots Fri 22-Aug-14 09:47:46

Pound shop sieve. I have my grandmothers so I reckon it is easily 40 years old, pound one lasted a month before it rusted through.

hollyisalovelyname Fri 22-Aug-14 11:13:10

You wonder why they bother making such awful products- waste of time, earth's energy resources not to mention money.

e1y1 Sat 23-Aug-14 16:24:26

BLOODY PEGS FROM POUNDSTRETCHER!!!

This thread is just at the right time, got these pegs a few weeks back. They have just caused an argument between my partner and I as they are so crap.

In a bad mood now.

I am sure there are loads of other substandard products. Quite agree with the above post, complete waste of time, energy and resource to manufacture these products so these "discount" stores can spin a fast buck.

Sometimes, the saying 'buy cheap, buy twice' really does pay true.

Although there have been the exceptions, most notably a £1000 washing machine that broke after 7 months.

ilovechristmas1 Sat 23-Aug-14 19:21:37

agree with the cotton buds one

our 99p shop sells a big tub of Johnsons so no need for rubbish cheap ones that bend in two

48hr deodrant from Lidl worst ive ever bought

cricketpitch Sat 23-Aug-14 19:32:56

Lakeland ironing mesh. Melted onto clothes on the hottest setting and made no difference at all on the cooler settings.

hollyisalovelyname Sat 23-Aug-14 19:43:47

What's an iron mesh for?

cricketpitch Sat 23-Aug-14 20:54:21

You use it instead of a teatowel while ironing. www.lakeland.co.uk/22614/Ironing-Cloths

I thought it would stop trousers going shiny and occasional scorching, (I am not a very good ironer!) It was a complete waste of time. Haveno idea why I bought it actually - it was an impulse purchase in the shop.

Also animal-shaped biscuit cutters that never cut biscuits that looked anything like the animals they were supposed to be!

thenightsky Sat 23-Aug-14 20:55:48

I have one of those lakeland ironing things and I quite like it.

thenightsky Sat 23-Aug-14 20:57:46

YY to J&J cottonbuds.

Purplecircle Sat 23-Aug-14 21:48:22

I had use tweezers to remove the end of a non-Johnsons cotton bud from my ear.

Tried a veet facial wax kit the other day, useless!

Anything that promises my curls will be just that and not frizzy frumpy mess!

Mintyy Sat 23-Aug-14 21:53:46

Some wipes I bought online for my glasses (specs) - rubbish, they just smear them.

Body Shop shampoos and shower gels - they come in a really thick/rigid plastic bottle and its hard to squeeze the stuff out without using two hands. They should use very thin plastic if they are supposed to be environmentally friendly?

SpringItOn Sat 23-Aug-14 22:12:02

Silicone egg poacher thingy from matalan. Took ten minutes to poach an egg, one got stuck the other flew out with a splat. Will stick to dropping it into boiling water next time.

Couldn't be aesed to wash them and threw them in the bin to save me the trouble.

thenightsky Sat 23-Aug-14 22:13:58

Strawberry hulling devices from Lakeland. Far quicker to use your thumbnail.

hollyisalovelyname Sun 24-Aug-14 08:58:20

Dpring I have those silicone poacher things - yes, useless. The eggs stick to it.

hiddenhome Mon 25-Aug-14 18:28:08

Sainsburys pegs - the wooden ones go mouldy and the plastic ones break after one use hmm

Tresseme hair products - absolutely awful. I can't believe they actually have the cheek to advertise on tv.

PuppyMonkey Mon 25-Aug-14 18:41:43

Cillit bang

UHT milk

"Spreadable butter."

thenightsky Mon 25-Aug-14 18:55:18

Noooo... Cillet Bang Lime and Grime is the ONLY product that works on hard as nails Lincolnshire water. My taps grow stalactites if I don't Cillit Bang em regularly.

Poofus Mon 25-Aug-14 19:00:04

YY to silicone egg poachers and cheap pegs.

On the other hand - a product I thought would be useless and wasn't: a banana case! Perfect for stopping toddler's portable snacks from being smushed in my bag.

Poofus Mon 25-Aug-14 19:00:59

Cilit bang?? It cleans everything on earth. It can't possibly be useless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now