Clutter again !

(22 Posts)
Hedgehog80 Mon 18-Aug-14 21:30:06

Every so often I get rid of a few bin bags of 'stuff' to the charity shop and a couple just of rubbish go in the bin but I never seem to get on top of the mess and clutter.

We are planning on converting the utility room and a 'cupboard' (used to be a coal thing) into a playroom which will help hugely as dcs bedrooms are overflowing with toys and things but until it is done everywhere looks a state. I literally don't know where to start. Tried today and managed to fill a bin bag with old shoes and boots that don't fit anymore but after that lost motivation and then spent a day in a+e with poorly ds2 sad

Planning on getting an early night then getting up early and having a really good clean and declutter but where to start? I want it to make a difference this time. Dh says wait till playroom done then sort things out but I can't live like this !!! I'm at the stage where I want to empty the overflowing drawers and cupboards into bin bags !

Is it better to do one room at a time or 15 mins in each room then a break ?

treaclesoda Mon 18-Aug-14 21:34:19

Personally I think it's better to tackle one room first, that way you will see results immediately and be motivated to continue.

But don't make the mistake of dragging everything out of every cupboard or you will just be overwhelmed. Do something like clothes first. Then toys next. Then books. Doesn't matter which, but juet focus on one thing at a time.

Hedgehog80 Mon 18-Aug-14 21:41:04

That's the mistake I make I drag everything out then something happens with one of dcs and I expand up not finishing the job and shoving stuff in boxes/baskets 'to do later' and I never do it.

The front room is relatively clear and tidy and dh just laid a new floor in the hallway (after ds1 ruined the carpet with glue and felt tip pens and wetting himself) so it looks ok due to the shoe rack going (hence the bin bag full of old shoes!)

Kitchen is a disaster, paperwork piled up, cupboards full of junk and stuff. I am so tempted to empty them and throw it all away.
Dcs bedrooms also terrible due to lack of space. Dds share a room and it is too small. Ds1 has the box room and the wardrobe in there is full to the brim with toys and stuff. Really not much point doing too much there as like dh says when the playroom is done I can tackle the toys then, move some to playroom and declutter as I go along.

And of course I have washing mountain to deal with.....

Hedgehog80 Mon 18-Aug-14 21:41:26

End up not expand!

stillstandingatthebusstop Mon 18-Aug-14 21:45:43

Isn't it just totally impossible to have a tidy house in the summer holidays???
I haven't even managed to keep the kitchen surface tidy today. Every time I turned around there were crumbs and used dishes everywhere.

treaclesoda Mon 18-Aug-14 21:47:58

I bloody love decluttering, I wish I could just hire myself out all round the country, helping people declutter. In fact, sod that, I'd do it for free grin

Flossiex2 Mon 18-Aug-14 21:50:14

Yes I do the bin bag thing every week. I'm sure I chuck out 3 or 4 bags of rubbish, 1 or 2 for charity and I am also collecting things for a boot sale (which I will probably never do.) I don't bring that much stuff back into my home every week so what I don't understand is why I can't see any difference in the clutter.

WottaMess Mon 18-Aug-14 21:51:48

Treacle you can

treaclesoda Mon 18-Aug-14 21:54:00

There's a professional body?!

Oh, I want to be one of them!

Hedgehog80 Mon 18-Aug-14 22:05:41

I think what I will do is set myself one decluttering goal each day this week then take everything to charity shop at the weekend.
Tomorrow I will go through all the clothes and sort out what doesn't fit etc and bag it up.
Wed I have two hospital appts for dcs so won't have much time but will do the cupboard with all the cups/mugs etc in as I doubt I will be having 3000 people round for coffee anytime soon and I seem to have accumulated a lot of mugs!
Thursday I will do the airing cupboard and bedding cupboard
Friday I will go through dcs collection of 40 million soft toys and try to get rid of some without them realising!

shitatusernames Tue 19-Aug-14 08:29:44

Treacle come and help meeeee please lol, I also get overwhelmed Hedgehog I decluttered the kids room at 8 months pregnant you wouldn't think so to look at it now.

treaclesoda Tue 19-Aug-14 14:10:11

I'll just get my coat. Get the kettle on, I'll need a coffee before I get started wink

Hedgehog80 Tue 19-Aug-14 21:48:32

Despite not feeling very well today I managed to go through mine and dcs clothes and sort out a big bag for charity shop of things that no longer fit/are never worn. Also sorted out a few old toys and books for the charity shop and did some general tidying/cleaning.
Feeling a lot better that I actually did something although the house still looks a mess I know that I have got some things sorted out.

Dh is going to start on the playroom at the weekend and asits bank hol he should get a lot done in three days.the sooner its done the better as I need to sort out the toys and get the majority out of dcs bedrooms so I can get their rooms looking nice and things organised.

Managed to start my Xmas shopping today too-got slippers, pjs and onesies for all four dcs and some stationery bits for dd1. Thought I'd get a few little bits each week so I'm all ready before 1december then I might actually be able to enjoy Christmas in a tidy house with all the shopping already done!

SlatternLovesLots Sat 23-Aug-14 09:48:40

I have the same problem OP. I take on too much, want to solve all the problems in one day, pull everything out and ........ Never get a job completed.

Treaclesoda, I may have remembered this wrong, but aren't you from NI........? wonders if DH would let a MNer in house to declutter

Sleepyfergus Sat 23-Aug-14 19:44:35

I'm the same OP. Never quite sure where it comes from, it slowly creeps up and the I snap and have a rant and try to tidy up.

I have recently though music Magpied all the CDs and DVDs we don't use any more. That was a bit soul destroying as only got in avg 20p per item it it should give me £40 which is better in my pocket and space in the house.

Plus yesterday/ today I went through the dds clothes and tided away things they had grown out of, bags for charity, textile recycling etc. that feels good. Drawers are beautifully organised which I know will last for a nanosecond with my pair but for today I can open them and um and ah over the organised and nicely folded clothes!

treaclesoda Sun 24-Aug-14 15:08:19

slattern yes, you've remembered correctly! grin

SlatternLovesLots Sun 24-Aug-14 16:10:10

Ah ha, treaclesoda, I do try to remember the locals smile.

This thread has motivated me to actually finish something. No new projects until I finish an existing one. Today I have ironed for 4 hours -- and I'm still not finished--.

Then batch cooking (half done).

Next is paperwork.

Then de cluttering.

hollyisalovelyname Mon 25-Aug-14 09:33:54

Treaclesoda come to my house please smile

3pigsinblanketsandasausagerole Mon 25-Aug-14 09:40:30

Can I join in?

My house is a right junk heap!

Mouldypineapple Mon 25-Aug-14 09:45:46

Are you me?? Really need to sort my house but never seem to get far! Treacle soda how much are you charging??

treaclesoda Wed 27-Aug-14 15:08:49

School starts tomorrow, so today I am sorting uniform out and ruthlessly getting rid of all those old socks that are looking a bit grey instead of white, and the tights that have got holes in the toe. No keeping them 'just in case' which is something I have a tendency to do.

The polo and sweatshirts that are a bit small but still in good condition are being given to a friend. Everything else will be dusters!

Anyone want to join in?

SlatternLovesLots Fri 29-Aug-14 09:47:56

I handed about half my DCs nursery uniform in at the end of last term. I kept the other half, why?? In fairness to myself I did try to give it to someone who I knew had a child going in this year but she declined who doesn't want spare uniform?

I will give it in next week, I will smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now