Your best duvet choice? Tired of lumpiness and chills.

(84 Posts)
minkah Sun 17-Aug-14 21:55:05

Siberian goose down seems, by the price of it, to be the ultimate luxury..or silk filled..has anyone tried that?

I want to be happy in bed (!)

Details of light, warm, not sweltering success duvets required!

P.s. As for clipping together a winter duvet onto a summer duvet..I've tried it. It's too hard.

MillieV Sat 04-Oct-14 16:59:21

Another vote for S&S. Bought our mattress topper, pillows and duvet from them when they were called DAPW (Duvet and Pillow Warehouse). I agree "Soak & Sleep" does sound more catchy. smile

I am tempted to get a silk duvet for when we move… my aim is to create a hotel-like, luxurious master bedroom...

Sipsmith Sat 04-Oct-14 15:25:54

Thanks to this thread I've just purchased an S&S wool all seasons duvet.
I'm allergic to feathers and I'm fed up with synthetic fillings, so I've splashed out!
And they have 20% off this weekend.

I will report back, once it's arrived.

Siarie Fri 03-Oct-14 11:42:03

John Lewis Hungarian goose down range is excellent.

ellieclarke1 Fri 03-Oct-14 11:37:52

All the tog ratings confuse me!

The last one I bought was from thebeddingcompany.co.uk and was under £20 if I can remember right.

Worth a look smile

I like the sound of silk also - can any one recommend where you can buy these?

Biffabin Mon 01-Sep-14 15:46:11

I have silk too, love it. Mine's a 9 tog and is good year round.

Got mine from DAPW.

cirrusblue Mon 01-Sep-14 14:29:13

I love my silk duvet too minkah. I bought a 3-4 tog which was great over the summer and now I will have to experiment with layering it with other things for the winter as a higher tog may be too heavy and I can't justify the expense of another. Currently have a light bedspread on top.

minkah Mon 01-Sep-14 12:35:26

I am amazed by how fab the silk duvet is. A m a z e d!

It's so very much better than anything I've had before, even though I've paid tons for them.

Really really love it.

I kind of wish I'd bought a mulberry silk throw too... I just don't need it, but they look gorgeous.

cirrusblue Mon 01-Sep-14 12:05:08

Whabylon I haven't got any experience of S and S stuff but I've got a Vintage Washed linen sheet and duvet covers from The White Company. It was very pricey but worth it. The make is pre-softened (I think that's what the 'Washed' means) and I never need to iron it. It is lovely and cosy in winter and cool in summer. I also got a cheaper linen John Lewis sheet from ebay. It was quite rough and hard in comparison but is gradually getting softer with washing.

BoreOfWhabylon Mon 01-Sep-14 08:54:53

Squeeeee! grin

MY S&S wool duvet is due for delivery tomorrow - excited!

BoreOfWhabylon Mon 01-Sep-14 08:43:57

My latest S&S purchase is two of these silk throws. They are gorgeous - soft, warm and with a beautiful lustre. I've been cuddling up under them on the sofa on these chilly evenings and figure I'm saving £££s by not putting the heating on.

Now, fellow Beautiful Bedding Buddies (BBBs grin ), has anyone tried real linen bedding? S&S have some v reasonably priced French linen bedding and I am tempted - not least because, apparently, you don't have to iron it!

RandomMess Sun 31-Aug-14 09:09:43

I tired my wool 9 tog duvet last night for the first time. D I V I N E draps lovely and felt light still.

Rooners Tue 26-Aug-14 11:47:01

I've just had a massively thorough response from Heals confirming that they absolutely source ethically, complete with a detailed explanation of this and how they audit the process and so on. I can't even copy and paste here as it would take up half the page.

So I feel better about my duvet now.

Anyone got any info on ethical silk sourcing? grin

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 24-Aug-14 08:01:42

I'm glad someone else mentioned live plucking of birds. It's a disgrace that they can do that.

I've got a microfibre one that's sown in pockets, it's one size bigger than the bed & only cost me £23 in tk maxx.

I've got no sheets for it though so we are still under the white company ks one sad.

RandomMess Sat 23-Aug-14 18:12:40

Hmm I wash mine on the special low crease/no iron setting, empty the machine straight out when it's finished, fold it up in the basket and then hang on the line. This way is much kinder to the environment as it doesn't need ironing - I will avoide going up to a 600 count though wink

Besta Sat 23-Aug-14 18:03:19

The bed linen was 600 count and tbh it's hard to iron...... but SO worth it. And it does need ironing, it looks awful when it's not ironed even for slatternly me

Besta Sat 23-Aug-14 18:02:07

Wool duvet = best thing ever. The one I bought from Soak and Sleep has a crinkly cotton cover which some people might not like though, but I love it, there's a satisfying quiet crinkle as you turn over.

Last year I overhauled all of our bed linen/bed stuff from S&S, we got wool duvets, mattress toppers, high thread count bed linen, towels, pillows - everything. Cost a fraction of high street prices and delivery was excellent.

We have the summer weight wool duvet, plus best quality feather mattress topper and even though I'm the coldest person alive, I don't need extra warmth in the winter. Maybe if we didn't use the mattress topper we would need an extra button on duvet in the winter.

RandomMess Sat 23-Aug-14 17:55:32

Yeah I'm wondering if I actually have 400 count thread...

I don't like wearing pjs in bed when I do I like slim fit stretchy things so I don't get knotted up in them grin

blodynmawr Sat 23-Aug-14 17:51:11

Oooh a bedding thread grin.
Agree with whoever said it's like buying shoes wink.
Am seriously tempted by the silk or wool duvets...
In terms of bedding I usually buy 300-400 thread count from John Lewis or Debenhams who have good and have good sales.
I love flannelette in the winter and last year got a good set from Next of all places, though cannot see them on the website yet this year.
Am coveting QVC flannelette this winter - anyone got any good recommendations for particular sets?
I have PJs from Boden mainly, some Laura Ashley. Best after a few washes when they become softer! smile
HTH smile

minkah Sat 23-Aug-14 14:06:59

Huge thanks to random mess! I just ordered a silk duvet from s&s, at great bank holiday sale price.

Very very excited!!

Was freeeeeezing last night in bed, even in a flannel nightie!

I was on amazon at about 3am ordering bamboo sleep set. Apparently it's silky, temp regulating, non sweaty making, very soft.

Any and all of your favourite nightwear suggestions..please share. Nighties that don't look either old lady or come hither required.

Can't believe this chilly at night, and it's not even September! Grrr.

Thanks again random!

RandomMess Sat 23-Aug-14 13:35:19

I just pure egyptian cotton erm 200 thread count I think. We have 2 cats so no way would a risk silk!

BoreOfWhabylon Sat 23-Aug-14 10:36:14

I use the S&S cotton duvet covers, which are lovely (I should be getting commission from them!), as I can't really justify silk duvet cover - although I do have a silk pillowcase, which feels heavely and prevents morning crumpled-face syndrome.

These look amazing! If I buy a silk duvet, what kind of cover goes on it?

RandomMess Sat 23-Aug-14 08:59:58

TBH I hadn't even thought about it blush however any future purchases I think I've just been persuaded to go with wool!

Synthetic can't be ethical either as I'm sure large amounts of natural oil etc. get used in the process...

Rooners Sat 23-Aug-14 08:34:36

Yes I think you are probably right. I am such an idiot for not thinking of it. I think of it with coats.

I've emailed Heals asking them if they source ethically. It says they use a Hungarian supplier and that's the same as JL who do have a page explaining how ethical this supplier is and that he doesn't buy from China, or something like that.

Fingers crossed. Poor gooses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now