Your best duvet choice? Tired of lumpiness and chills.

(84 Posts)
minkah Sun 17-Aug-14 21:55:05

Siberian goose down seems, by the price of it, to be the ultimate luxury..or silk filled..has anyone tried that?

I want to be happy in bed (!)

Details of light, warm, not sweltering success duvets required!

P.s. As for clipping together a winter duvet onto a summer duvet..I've tried it. It's too hard.

minkah Sun 17-Aug-14 23:09:42

Bun baker, hijack all you want! It's good to share the info and hear experiences.

I'm thinking 9 tog sees you through most of the year, with a blanket or pj's for coldest times. And as for summer, well I don't know. By the time it comes round again maybe I'll be so hooked on silk I'll invest in a 4 tog one.

'Fussy'?! "Discerning" is the word, surely........

BoreOfWhabylon Sun 17-Aug-14 23:09:57

Off to bed now under my silk duvet with head resting on silk pillow - bliss!

o0 Sun 17-Aug-14 23:12:08

OMG at those Soak & Sleep prices!

I paid about £250 for my king sized one.

<cries>

Though I can now think about buying my DC's silk ones after all!

<happy>

minkah Sun 17-Aug-14 23:12:36

Boreofwhabylon, I just saw your post.. You are fine most of the year with the lower tog rating one!

Scuppered, I am, to know what to do about togs.

BoreOfWhabylon Sun 17-Aug-14 23:23:27

but I get v v hot in bed grin. I think you should go for autumn one and then see if you want a summer one for next year.

minkah Sun 17-Aug-14 23:37:58

Yes, ok! Thank you Bore!

(I'd like to say I get hot in bed but I just don't think it's true, unless I'm wearing a thick nightie.)

RandomMess Mon 18-Aug-14 06:41:46

Hmm I still like my plan - go for singles 2 x summer one and 1 autumn one, you get first pick wink

I cannot imagine having a 9 tog duvet on my bed at the moment!!!!

minkah Mon 18-Aug-14 07:39:40

Random mess, like your plan too, it's the most pragmatic.

I thought it too complex for me because I'd need to buy all new duvet covers.

But it does sound very appealing to have the choice all the time.

RandomMess Mon 18-Aug-14 07:41:42

Well new duvets call for new duvet covers!!!! You can still dress your bed by putting your current duvet covers over the top?

Personally egyptian cotton duver covers - yummy yummy yummy.

GalaxyInMyPants Mon 18-Aug-14 07:53:41

Will I like silk duvets? Or even wool ones?

I currently have a 20 year old synthetic duvet. I've tried various feather ones and even other synthetic ones but all current duvets the filling seems to move about inside the duvet which I hate.

I want it to be a solid, non moving, not too light, not too heavy, duvet.

minkah Mon 18-Aug-14 08:10:18

Buying duvet covers ..is it just me.. Or is it really enjoyable, kind of like buying shoes?!

I luuurve bed linen.

I've never had silk duvet cover. I could try it on a single to see if like!

delirious with excitement

BoreOfWhabylon Mon 18-Aug-14 08:13:36

I lurve it too! Have recently bought the seersucker one from S&S - 'tis lovely.

Have you ordered your duvet yet?

BoreOfWhabylon Mon 18-Aug-14 08:17:10

Galaxy yes, you will like silk duvets - the filling does not move and the whole thing drapes over you in a very satisfying way.

Bunbaker Mon 18-Aug-14 08:25:22

I love this thread. I love looking at bed linen (must get out more).

Apart from price, and obviously raw material, what other differences are there between wool and silk duvets. Would I be able to feel the difference?

BoreOfWhabylon Mon 18-Aug-14 08:29:50

Have never tried a wool one myself although family member has one. Why not ring S&S and ask - they are v helpful (and no, I don't work for them but am thinking I should grin )

iggymama Mon 18-Aug-14 11:11:40

I have an all seasons silk duvet but never use them joined together.

GalaxyInMyPants Mon 18-Aug-14 12:29:57

I can feel a trip to John Lewis coming on. I need to havea good feel bbefore I buy.

Tiptops Mon 18-Aug-14 17:57:46

Also curious about the differences between silk and wool duvets, if anyone has experience of either/ both?

Sorry for the thread hijack minkah!

RandomMess Mon 18-Aug-14 19:30:52

I'm really curious now about whether I got a wool autumn one, sadly I won't need to use it for a good few months to let you all know!

iggymama Tue 19-Aug-14 01:25:29

I had a wool one previous to buying silk. It was a cheap Fogarty wool duvet, was much nicer than the cheap synthetic ones I was used to but not as nice as my silk one. Possibly a more expensive wool duvet would be nicer but IMO the silk is best.

Oh and I have an alpaca wool filled duvet which cost loads but was too hot, I may try this again if we have a very cold winter but currently having the joy of night sweats so very glad of my light weight silk. 'Tis like sleeping beneath an angel's wing.

mipmop Tue 19-Aug-14 14:26:32

<joins the queue>

Any thoughts on mattress toppers? I got a new mattress this month and it feels great, but this thread is all about luxury...

RandomMess Tue 19-Aug-14 18:56:52

Oh I love my memory foam mattress topper but dh hates it as it's too warm and he sinks into it making it difficult to turn over confused he has a really thick padded cotton topper on top of his half!

Elvish Tue 19-Aug-14 21:32:47

Random, I have a 4tog silk duvet which we use all year round except when we drop down to just the cover - and we're in the North!

You may well manage with just your usual duvet up here, I sometimes have a throw over the top in the deep winter.

But of course if you've already got something a bit warmer there would be no need to return it! smile

RandomMess Thu 21-Aug-14 06:39:20

Elvish I'm from up north but having been down south in a particularly warm spot I have sadly become something of a southern softee shock I do on occasion have to wear my pjs in bed down here but I much prefer sleeping naked so new duvet here I com wink

Am busy packing to move house and found it yesterday but so far have resisted temptation to open the package and see which duvet I bought!!!

antimatter Thu 21-Aug-14 07:06:55

RandomMess - re: memory mattress, I got brand new bed and mattress for my dd, salesman advised to spend extra 50 pounds to get an extra layer of cooling jelly like part which is fitted between the memory topping and mattress

she said her mattress is never too warm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now