Has anyone found that silicone bakeware taints the taste of food?

(14 Posts)
CabbagePatchCheryl Sun 17-Aug-14 17:55:45

I have just made some little mini quiches in a silicone muffin tray and I can taste the smell of the silicone (IYSWIM). Anyone else find this? Anything I can do about it? Is it maybe because it was quite a cheapie tray off ebay?

Ta muchly...

wowfudge Sun 17-Aug-14 18:19:49

I can honestly say I've got lots of silicone bakeware and have never had an issue. You did wash it before you used it I presume?

lettertoherms Sun 17-Aug-14 18:22:37

Yes. But I always half figured it was in my head.

I don't use it.

CabbagePatchCheryl Sun 17-Aug-14 18:22:58

Yep, it's not new - been washed many many times.

NoraRobertsismyguiltypleasure Sun 17-Aug-14 18:24:29

I only use silicone and I have never noticed anything like that. It could be because it's a cheapie one, it may be leaching - I wouldn't use it again until you've done a comparison with a more expensive type.

JadedAngel Sun 17-Aug-14 18:40:50

I have just today got rid of all my silicone bakeware.

The more expensive ones are better and seem to be fine for pastry but not for cake or muffins. The cheaper ones are hopeless for everything.

Catsmamma Sun 17-Aug-14 18:43:09

I just got rid of all of mine....I felt that cakes especially did not cook quickly enough, my theory was because there is no conducted heat, and as a result were very dry and overbaked

Can't say I noticed a taste though.

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Sun 17-Aug-14 18:47:50

Yy, I can! No one else in my family can though, I thought it was just me. Now I only use the them for ones that need a specific shape.
Kind of a soapy taste (no, it's not the soap)

lettertoherms Sun 17-Aug-14 18:48:00

Actually, in general, I don't buy products like bakeware, etc. if they're manufactured in China. I don't trust that there's any sort of regulation to how they're made or what goes in them, I don't feel they're perfectly safe to use. I wouldn't trust cheapies off ebay for that reason.

CabbagePatchCheryl Sun 17-Aug-14 18:53:15

Naturalblonde YY - like soap! Husband can't detect it at all. Weird.

Will buy better quality ones and try and remember to report back if it makes a difference.

Thanks all

wowfudge Tue 19-Aug-14 19:00:35

Ooh - now this has reminded me of something. A few years ago I bought Fairy dishwasher tablets because they were on special offer. The perfume in them was strong compared to me usual Aldi ones (which I went back to) and tainted everything silicone or plastic that went through the dishwasher. Took ages to get rid of the smell/taste.

Does that strike a chord?

wowfudge Tue 19-Aug-14 19:00:57

My usual ones - typo!

I can't get on with silicone at all, love it for spatulas etc but not for bakeware.

chocomochi Tue 19-Aug-14 19:36:20

Wowfudge, that's what happened to me too! Had to throw them all away in the end (deep roasting type tray, loaf tin, muffin cups) hmm DH said he didn't notice any smell/taste, but I felt like I was eating Fairy liquid every time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now