Please help me save my plated taps?

(7 Posts)
springbabydays Sun 17-Aug-14 13:03:34

I'm losing them to limescale sad

I know I'm not supposed to use harsh cleaning fluids but what more damage could they do that the limescale is not?

So, Cillit Bang or white vinegar? Or something else?

IScreamForIceCream Sun 17-Aug-14 13:06:10

what are they plated with?

springbabydays Sun 17-Aug-14 13:12:20

I'm not sure. It's high polished chrome to look at, instructions refer to it as a 'high quality finish' but nothing more specific. Says the only safe way to clean it is with a damp cloth and to remove stains with washing up liquid.

PigletJohn Sun 17-Aug-14 15:35:52

if it is shiny chrome, it is more hard-wearing than anything else. Lacquered brass, gold plate, and paint are much less durable.
If rubbing won't get them clean, try a bathroom spray that mentions limescale on the label.

Acid or aggressive cleaners will sooner or later attack the chrome, so avoid vinegar and lemons until after the taps have been damaged and you don't care.

"cream" cleaners are actually abrasive, though the particles are ground very fine.

Especially avoid toilet cleaners, which can strip all the chrome off.

Best way I know is to save up for a water-softener.

springbabydays Sun 17-Aug-14 18:09:49

Thanks for the advice pigletjohn. What could I try rubbing it with first? My nails aren't up to the task and I don't want to use metal on metal for obvious reasons...

PigletJohn Sun 17-Aug-14 20:43:09

try a sponge or microfiber cloth and the bathroom spray. I expect the makers would say you should have cleaned it more often to prevent scale building up.

springbabydays Sun 17-Aug-14 22:37:41

Yes, and they'd be right blush

Hate living in a hard water area!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now