Turkish towels - pestemal

(8 Posts)
wowfudge Tue 12-Aug-14 12:28:47

Hi - just wanted to let you know about these (no, I am not advertising and have no vested interest in any way!). They are also sometimes called 'hammam towels'.

I was browsing the internet for new beach towels last week and stumbled upon these - they look like pashminas/sarongs, are around the size of a large bath sheet and are usually made of cotton, but you can get them in linen and even silk. They are very fine and thin, but advertised as very absorbent. If you are packing for a holiday, they take up far less room and weigh a lot less than towelling beach towels. That was what appealed to me, especially as we're only going for a week and have a 15kg luggage allowance each.

Anyway, I ordered a couple and they arrived this week direct from Turkey. I've washed and dried them before use and have now tested them - they do work. No, it's not them same as wrapping yourself in a cosy, thick towel, but perfect for using on the beach. Very absorbent. Because they are thin they dry really quickly too. I'm impressed - I'd never heard of them before.

Just thought I would share that.

NerfHerder Wed 13-Aug-14 19:33:57

They always look lovely and soft (well- they do in the Toast catalogue and 'lifestyle' supplements! wink)

Are they a good size, though, as I do love a properly large, bath sheet-sized towel.

WildThong Wed 13-Aug-14 19:35:56

By coincidence, I noticed that loads of people had these on the beach in Ibiza this year. Looked lovely too.

gildedlily Wed 13-Aug-14 19:47:29

I love these. They pack small, dry quickly and double up as a shawl on the beach if it turns chilly.

wowfudge Wed 13-Aug-14 19:51:49

Easily as big as a proper bath sheet and soft after one wash - they are supposed to improve over the first few washes. You can buy mega ones which are sometimes sold as picnic blankets.

I got some stripy ones - 2 for a set price with 'free' delivery off Amazon. I read loads of reviews before I bought any.

We're going to Greece in a few weeks - I'm tempted to get a couple more as the towels in the accommodation over there are often little bigger than hand towels!

Pinkfizzy Thu 14-Aug-14 00:07:32

Ooh wowfudge, do you mind linking to amazon towels? I'm upto my eyes moving out/builders coming in & need to get a couple.

Thank you! smile

wowfudge Thu 14-Aug-14 10:46:35

Will pm you Pinkfizzy.

Helentowan2 Tue 19-Aug-14 16:56:10

hello
Just stumbled across this thread. As a family we've been using Turkish pestemal towels since we were introduced to them by friends a few years ago. We loved their style and versatility so much that we started up a small family business importing them. Even if I had no vested interest, would still wholeheartedly recommend them as a perfect alternative to the traditional bath towels we're used to in this country. They're compact and colourful travel companions, roll up or fold to fit neatly in your travel or handbag, but equally look great in the bathroom - and they really are absorbent.

We're passionate about the product and believe you will be too. If somebody would like to trial one and write a review for the forum we’d happily send you one. www.towan.co

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now