How fantastic should my Fantastic Cleaner be?

(8 Posts)
dorasee Wed 06-Aug-14 19:22:19

Hi there,

We just started using Fantastic Cleaners for a bi-monthly house clean. I've had my second clean today and something is really, really bothering me. I expect the cleaner to mop the floors and historically, I have never had to remind cleaners to do this. It's a given. She doesn't dust or iron. She just does the bare minimum and for 4 1/2 hours I have got to say, I am not sure why she can't mop the downstairs kitchen floor and corridor... it's not much. She also leaves the beds totally unmade. Granted we can make our own beds and do so daily, but it would be nice if she just fluffed up the pillows and spread out the duvet on one of the kids' beds. She only hoovers the bedrooms, no dusting at all or wiping of surfaces anywhere in the house apart from the bathroom. She cleans the shower doors and polishes up the chrome, but the tiles are still grubby and she didn't bother cleaning the bath. What are your experiences with agency cleaners because so far, I am not impressed. Thanks for advice and input.

Coughle Thu 07-Aug-14 00:01:42

I think you need to have a list of everything you expect to be done. Be very clear. Things like "it would be nice"... Well, yes, but do you want her to do it or not?

Cirsium Thu 07-Aug-14 00:16:51

More fantastic than that for sure. I clean a 5 bed, 2 bath (with separate showers) , 2 shower room, 4 public rooms and kitchen/breakfast room, house top to bottom in four hours weekly. Including thorough clean of bath/shower rooms, any marks on glass and ledges of individual panes of windows (hundreds of them), gloss doors and surfaces in kitchen, dust everywhere, hoover carpets, sweep and mop hard floors (most of downstairs). Rotate other jobs like cleaning out plug holes, picture frames, skirtings, silver, dusting kids toys, wiping inside of fridge, about once a month.

Happydutchmummy Thu 07-Aug-14 20:59:18

When you hired them did someone come and look round the house and see what you wanted done? If not ask for a manager to come round and write a definitive list of jobs that need doing, including some that only need doing on a rotational basis (inside of the fridge, dusting skirting, etc).

DiaDuit Thu 07-Aug-14 21:15:48

what did you tell her when you discussed what you would like done?

rubybleu Sun 10-Aug-14 21:52:20

Fantastic are useless. The first cleaner was quite good, then they progressively become more hopeless (the place would barely look clean afterward) until our final lady lady who would do things like empty bowls of obviously decorative items into the utility drawer and re-order the magnets on the fridge (I collect them on my travels), instead of actually cleaning. Her parting gift was a £700 bill to fix a Saniflo after she flushed a dishrag (an actual, cloth dishrag) down the toilet.

Wouldn't use them again if you paid me!

DarkBlueEyes Sun 10-Aug-14 21:56:21

Get rid. She isn't doing a good job. My cleaner does 5 hours a week and manages to vac and mop pretty much the whole house (5 bed detached but 2 beds only done occasionally). Cleans the range, microwave, dusts, irons and puts the clothes away. Cleans two bathrooms and a loo as well. You have to be clear as to what you expect. I did a room by room outcome based job description after having a series of mediocre cleaners (yes, I was in HR!wink) and I've never looked back.

ContentedSidewinder Mon 11-Aug-14 23:31:05

What exactly does she clean in that time? Watch TV?

That is not a fantastic amount of cleaning given the amount of time she is meant to be working on your house.

Leave her a list if you don't actually see her or ask her to prioritise certain things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now