Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Tool storage - in the house!

(7 Posts)
messysponge Sun 03-Aug-14 12:12:29

OK so my DH is a plumber and DIY type person too. He refuses to put his tools in our outside (brick built) lockable shed and instead insists on his drills , jig saws , sanders, and all manner of hammers, screw drivers, spanners and tool bags and such "live" in my sitting room.

I really need to hide them and make the room look less like his workshop. Can someone suggest a clever storage idea for this?

wowfudge Sun 03-Aug-14 13:53:53

Could you get a storage box/ottoman type thing and put it in the hall or dining room instead? What's his problem with using the storage space outside the house - is it that he thinks it is not secure or can he not be bothered to put the stuff away?

I think living rooms and bedrooms should be devoid of work paraphernalia in order to be properly relaxing places.

Mrsgrumble Sun 03-Aug-14 14:04:18

My dh was like this. Fishing gear, tools etc. I started throwing them into th shed disorganised and now he puts them away.

If you wan an ottoman, Argos does an extra large one that fits tonnes

erin99 Mon 04-Aug-14 19:31:17

It's utterly unoriginal but I think ikea expedit (new version, whatever it's called now) is the way to go. Get the cheap drona boxes or cupboard doors to maximise the useable volume. Drona aren't ideal with heavy contents but they'd be ok and cheap to replace.

I once knew a bloke who barely used his kitchen, so he used 90% of the kitchen cupboards for tool storage! It was actually agreat idea as the cupboards are big and can take loads of weight, but of course most of us use our kitchen cupboards for, well, kitchen stuff! If you have a humungous kitchen I guess tools in some kitchen cupboards and best china in a sideboard in the living room could work.

Or do you have space somewhere for a big cupboard eg www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1518113.htm ? I think it looks more study/bedroom than living room though.

squiggletea Tue 05-Aug-14 23:49:15

Large washing powder boxes (50 wash size) are perfect for jigsaws and drills. They then stack nicely on shelves. Luckily, our shelves are in the futility room!

confusedofengland Fri 08-Aug-14 11:19:33

We have 2 sets of old bedside drawers in our utility room for things such as tools, batteries, light bulbs etc. They also have a piece of old worksurface across them, making a desk, & a gap in the middle, in which bigger items can be stored IYSWIM.

messysponge Sun 10-Aug-14 13:57:34

Thank you for the replies. I have bought a large Argos ottoman and put his things in it. He is not very pleased, but at least its clean and tidy now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now