washing machine/dryer separates or washer-dryer?

(23 Posts)
bluewisteria Wed 30-Jul-14 08:56:35

OOhhh, moving house next week, just been told there is no washing machine there after all.... It is a standard built-in space for a washing machine, but we could put a washer-dryer in. We will need to be able to machine dry as it is a very damp part of the country.

Do I go for a washer-dryer or separates? Separates will be a squeeze on space, but I know the former have a rep for breaking down the whole time... Is this true? Can anyone recommend a washer dryer or separates that won't break the bank??

Youarejustwordsonascreenpeople Wed 30-Jul-14 09:59:47

Seprates all the way. Having had both sorts there is no way I would have a combined again.

TheNumberfaker Wed 30-Jul-14 10:02:58

Separates all the way! Not only do washer/dryers break down more often but you can only do one thing at a time. As opposed to washing a load and drying the previous load at the same time if you have separate appliances.

dinkystinky Wed 30-Jul-14 10:06:27

SEPARATES

dinkystinky Wed 30-Jul-14 10:07:32

You can stack one on top of the other if you have space vertically rather than horizontally - I would never go for a combined one as it doesn't do the drying properly and if you will need a drier frequently then you need a good one that will do the job

bonzo77 Wed 30-Jul-14 10:08:03

Separates. They work better and you can get more washing / drying done more quickly.

RelocatorRelocator Wed 30-Jul-14 10:09:33

Definitely separates

bluewisteria Wed 30-Jul-14 10:10:43

Thank you!! Wow, so speedy!

Any recommendations for separates? A quick wash and a half load and a timer will probably be important. And a drum big enough for a double duvet...?

SwedishEdith Wed 30-Jul-14 10:11:21

Separates. Just get the basic model of the best manufacturer you can afford. Bosch or aeg are good

RelocatorRelocator Wed 30-Jul-14 10:13:06

Bosch v good and easy to repair. (My washing machine is 14yo and in all that time has only needed one repair to replace the brushes - touch wood!)

ElephantsNeverForgive Wed 30-Jul-14 10:15:56

Separates, if you have room. I don't and after two irritating compromise washer driers, I've given up.

We just have a lovely big load John Lewis washer and a dehumidifier.

I have an AEG combo which is very good but I would have separates in a heartbeat if I had the space.

somuchtosortout Wed 30-Jul-14 10:17:44

Separates! I bought from appliances online, can thoroughly recommend.

Definitely separate. I love my new Bosch tumble dryer.

Felyne Wed 30-Jul-14 10:20:29

Just to add another vote for separates as well. I don't think a combined machine is very energy efficient either because the whole machine is very wet itself from washing the load before it starts drying so there is just that much more water and therefore more energy required to dry. The one house I've lived in which had a combo one, the clothes came out awfully crinkly if I left them in until they were actually dry. Hated it.

Felyne Wed 30-Jul-14 10:23:17

Would you be drying your duvet often? Or are you wanting to just air it a bit? You need a massive machine to wash a duvet, when it comes to washing/drying that sort of bedding I reckon I'd go to a laundromat.

icklekid Wed 30-Jul-14 10:27:13

Just as an opposite view- I don't have space for separate and been very happy with combi for 6+ years so far...

ThreeYorkshires Wed 30-Jul-14 10:32:23

Bog standard Hotpoint combi here, four years in and no issues with it at all-I'll be replacing it with another washer dryer when it does go, as we have NO room for a separate tumble dryer

bluewisteria Wed 30-Jul-14 10:50:05

Bosch is coming out of this pretty well! Any other recommendatations?
I don't really know which are the best brands when it comes to washing machines or dryers??

Felyne - a thin double duvet - we washed it in washing machine on holiday once and it seemed to fit... We could probably dry it ok without tumbledryer, but with 2 small children I like to wash duvets at least twice a year...

ThreeYorkshires Wed 30-Jul-14 11:18:25

I'll be getting a Miele when ours goes, they're meant to be amazing and last forever (which is good, because they cost ££££)

bluewisteria Wed 30-Jul-14 11:20:58

Ohhh, I LOVE Miele... We have a vacuum cleaner from them, and it is utterly incredible. Cheaper than many and a zillion times better frankly.

We may move again and so will take the washing machine/dryer with us. I nevr know how they really fare in being moved... With all the ball bearings etc...?

MostWicked Wed 30-Jul-14 14:16:00

I had a combined for a week on holiday once. By the end of the first load, I swore I would never have a combined in my own house!

I wouldn't pay for a top of the range tumbler dryer. I don't think there is much difference between them. However, I would pay a bit more for a better model of washing machine.

Esmum07 Wed 30-Jul-14 14:32:31

We had a combined up until last August when it broke down. I thought it was pretty good. Then we went for separates as we had freed up space in the garage. Having separates blew the combined one out of the water!

The problem with the combined we had was that you had to wait for the lock to open even when you tumble dried. That meant some things got very creased whereas with the separate tumble drier I can take things out immediately so that the heat helped to take the creases out and saves on ironing!

And, when DS had the vomiting virus a couple of years ago, in January when we couldn't hang things out, the combined was a pain. You obviously can't wash and tumble dry at the same time so we had sicky duvet covers, towels, pyjamas and sheets sitting in the bath soaking whilst we washed then dried a load, then started again. With a separate we can wash a load, pop in the drier and wash the next load at the same time. It took hours with the washer drier and we really struggled because he obviously was still being sick as we were washing. Argh!

We now have a 9kg hot point ultima washing machine. Takes a duvet easily, though we only have singles in the house (hubby pulls duvets round him and I used to end up with a teeny piece of duvet in the winter so we have two singles on a king size bed - saved our marriage ha ha)

We have a Beko 6kg condenser drier. It has an internal light which is handy in a garage and can take temperatures of minus five degrees. Again handy in a garage as some driers will freeze in garages.. Both machines have sensors so the washer will adjust the washing time if it senses a smaller load and the drier will adjust the drying time depending on wetness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now