Urghh... hundreds of tiny black flies - what can I do?

(11 Posts)
Roisin Sat 19-Jul-14 12:03:00

They are gathering round my white front door. I've cleaned the door and washed down the step with hot water, salt and bleach three times this morning, but they keep coming back. They come inside the house too. YUCK!

It's hot and humid here at the moment and heavy storms, which is why they are around I think.

What can I put on the door to repel them? It's a revolting sight for visitors! What must they think?

FlumpsRule Sat 19-Jul-14 12:09:07

Try a glass/pot half filled with vinegar and cling film lid with holes pricked in it. My mum's done this to catch fruit flies & I'm amazed how many fall for the trap..

Sounds like thunder bugs, they are attracted to light bright colours, so will be attracted to your door. They are about because of the weather, there is very little that gets rid of them sad

Staywithme Sat 19-Jul-14 12:22:33

Have you tried citronella candles? Haven't tried them myself but they're supposed to repel flies. You can get tea light ones and put them in an old jam jar to stop them blowing out. Trie putting one each side of the door in the mornings. I don't know for sure but I wonder can you get oil with citronella in it at health shops and dot it on the glass or put it on rags. Good luck. The flies are terrible this year.

BuzzardBird Sat 19-Jul-14 12:22:44

Flies, I discovered on here, hate the smell of Zoflara. I have been using it to wipe over my bin and clean out my wheelie bin and flies will not go near them when they smell strongly of Zoflara. Mine is cherry blossom and smells lovely to humans.

Roisin Sat 19-Jul-14 12:46:34

Right! Thanks for the tips. I am going shopping for EVERYTHING!

Roisin Sun 20-Jul-14 14:34:54

Of course the problem with trying everything is you can't tell what worked! But it has worked. Phew.

(In addition to all of the above, I also bought some pretty heavy-duty chemicals and I hacked down/dug up a rather manky Japanese anenome plant that was growing near the door and harbouring some beasties.)

Thanks for all the suggestions.

BridgettRousselot Sun 20-Jul-14 14:41:54

Glad it all worked.

callamia Sun 20-Jul-14 14:51:44

I'm totally using the fruit fly trick. Brilliant.

Staywithme Sun 20-Jul-14 15:09:19

Of course the problem with trying everything is you can't tell what worked! But it has worked. Phew.

So glad we were able to help. Now have visions of people coming to your door and wondering if you've had a chemical spill. grin

BuzzardBird Sun 20-Jul-14 21:34:02

In case its the zoflara...you need to keep applying it to keep the scent fresh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now