definitive lakeland heated airer guide

(12 Posts)
unfortunately Wed 16-Jul-14 11:53:26

Can you help me use mine? (or link if you've seen a good guide somewhere) I've had to rewash a few loads due to mustiness angry but given how people rave about them I think I must not be doing it right! I've tried with duvet cover and without, but it just doesn't seem to dry stuff as quickly as other people say. I'm a bit gutted as I thought it was going to change my life.
I'm off on hols and have a ton of laundry to get dry so I can pack - help me!

Shia Thu 17-Jul-14 06:29:39

Maybe you have a faulty one?

Mine works well. I use with and without a sheet over the top. Some use there's near an open window, I don't.

Are you overloading it? By that I mean that I don't place big items together. For example I will place a top on one pole, then next to it I will place underwear, then the next pole will up have jeans, then the next one will have socks.

I find that keeps more air between larger items.

I have a high spin on my washing machine and that may play a factor in how fast your laundry dries. If you think your wash load is very damp after spinning, spin again to remove as much water as possible before placing on airer.

Reastie Sun 20-Jul-14 07:44:23

Agree, maybe it's faulty. Does it feel like it's getting warm? Mine also works with sheet over or not (but quicker with sheet on). You do have to make sure you don't overload it though, and very heavy or thick fabrics give them a few rungs (or whatever they're called) to dry out.

Allice Sun 20-Jul-14 08:06:29

I have one and find it takes a good 10 hours or so to properly dry things, maybe a bit more. I thought it would be much quicker but it's still handy to have.
How long are you leaving stuff on it for?

I agree with other poster, I don't overload it and leave some gaps, also put garments over a couple of bars to help.

If it is faulty Lakeland are really good with returns.

mousmous Sun 20-Jul-14 08:23:44

where is it positioned?
mine is on top of a landing where it is very drafty.
I have to hang stuff carefully, though, so air can circulate between the clothes easily.

Tbh, I've been very disappointed in mine. Takes forever to dry stuff and then it often smells musty, whether covered or not. These days I use it to air dry large items (towels, sheets etc.) but just stick it in the spare bedroom and don't bother switching it on.

I could have saved myself £75 and just bought another bog-standard clothes airer hmm

VeryThelma Sun 20-Jul-14 10:16:19

I lie stuff across the bars and drape over the sides rather than over the bars like a normal airer

TheMightyMing Sun 20-Jul-14 10:24:30

I love mine! I put a sheet over. It's on now actually due to the rubbish weather yesterday. It's not super fast , but I would be lost without it in the winter.

mousmous Sun 20-Jul-14 10:30:18

no, it's not as fast as a dryer.
and I suspect many people use them without enough ventilation.
we have a goid space for it, were looking at either a 4 tier minky or the heated one. so went for the heated one a have no dryer. if I realy need stuff dry fast I put it in our bedroom next to the dehumidifier.

goodasitgets Sun 20-Jul-14 15:36:09

I love mine. I have the bars down on one side so I can use the rail to hang tops. The bars that are then hanging down I put trousers on
Always put a sheet/duvet cover over it, and it gets roasting underneath that

PrimalLass Sun 20-Jul-14 15:42:54

I borrowed one and thought it was rubbish.

unfortunately Sun 20-Jul-14 23:50:55

Thanks everyone, much appreciated. It does heat up, so I don't think it's faulty. I think I've been overloading, not leaving spaces, not putting it in a draughty enough position, and being too impatient. I will regroup before giving up smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now