Induction hob and John Lewis 'the pan'

(12 Posts)
papalazaru Tue 15-Jul-14 10:12:01

I am just getting used to a new Miele induction hob and bought pans from John Lewis own range - they are induction compatible but....... They don't seem to heat up as quickly as I thought they would.

I even did a test with a random saucepan I already owned. I boiled a cup of water in each pan and timed it. The new pan took a minute longer than the other one.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the dimpled bottom of the pan? Has anyone else had a problem with these pans/hob combination? And will JL take them back now they're used??

Mrsladybirdface Tue 15-Jul-14 17:42:23

I haven't got the jl pans but I recently purchased a small pan, whixh was marketed as induction, it has dimples on the bottom and it doesn't work at all!

papalazaru Tue 15-Jul-14 22:15:33

It's those dimpled bottoms which are the problem (in more ways than one ��)
I'm going to call John Lewis in the morning....

WeAllHaveWings Tue 15-Jul-14 22:22:56

I have tefal ones that have a textured bottom and they are crap. 20 year old Circulon with flat heavy bottom much better and faster

papalazaru Wed 16-Jul-14 13:56:11

right that's it - I'm taking them back...... At least i Know I'm not the only one with a dimpled bottom problem wink!

NannyR Wed 16-Jul-14 23:18:44

The ikea 365 stainless steel ones work very well on an induction hob and they are reasonably cheap and wear well. I've had some for three years now and they still look like new.

Mojito100 Wed 16-Jul-14 23:29:40

You know you don't need to buy induction pots or pans. Any will work on your induction hob as long as they are magnetic. Therefore, stick a magnet to the bottom of the pan if it sticks they will work. Saves on money as most pots and pans are magnetic. Those that aren't won't conduct on an induction hob. Hope this helps even if slightly off topic.

Girlsbrigadewashorrible Sat 19-Jul-14 21:17:23

Thank you for starting this thread. I am still getting used to my induction hob. It came with a 'free' set of pans which are great but I wanted a bigger frying pan and bought one on a whim in TK Maxx. Now I realise why it's not as effective as the other pans...dimples!
Can anyone recommend a good induction wok and/or fry pan? Ideally the wok would have two small handles on each side and a glass lid. Having spent a lot on the actual kitchen it would be great to find a bargain. We don't have Ikea, btw. TIA.

RandomMess Sat 19-Jul-14 23:12:36

I just went to TK Maxx ironically but with a magnet and just bought on that basis!

I haven't found my wok particularly effective because there are no flames to go up the sides so mainly just use a large frying pan these days.

gobbin Sun 20-Jul-14 16:04:34

I bought mega expensive Circulon Infinite pans to,go,with my induction hob and they are heavy, take aaages to heat up and the frying pan is shite.

I second the IKEA 366 pans above - I have a range of these now and would recommend them to everybody. Cheap (compared to other induction-compatible pans), heat up very quickly, can be used in the oven as well as the hob (the double-handled pans are ace for this) and clean up perfectly. Don't waste your money on anything else.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 20-Jul-14 16:45:25

I had to replace all the pans I had when I got my induction hob. I had a mish mash of different makes and none of them worked. I ended up getting stellar ones which are fantastic.

papalazaru Wed 30-Jul-14 20:05:34

I replaced the dimpley bottomed JL ones with a set of stainless steel Judge Vista from tk Max and saved £50 too! The new ones work great, have a glass strainer lid and aren't too heavy even when full. I'd like to get a wok too but have heard they don't work so well so I bought a big frying pan instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now