re using color catchers

(14 Posts)
lighteningmcmama Sun 13-Jul-14 23:28:00

I read on another thread that someone mentioned doing this, how does it work? Do you have to double up second time? How many times can you use them?I know they're not pricy but we're using more and more now especially since I started separating dds clothes to wash at 60 because of her eczema.

RandomMess Sun 13-Jul-14 23:30:58

Just depends on what I'm washing, I do still try to wash whites, pinks/purples and then darks as seperate washes. So a new one with the whites, reuse for the pinks/reds and don't bother with the darks...

todayisnottheday Sun 13-Jul-14 23:31:56

Do you use them every load? Am I missing something? I've got a box that's about 6 years old because I only use one if I have to wash a school shirt along with trousers in some washing related emergency! Am I doing it wrong? (Wouldn't surprise me, I am the opposite of domestic goddess)

BertieBotts Sun 13-Jul-14 23:32:52

I never use them, occasionally wash at 60 and never have a problem. I think they're a bit of a con.

todayisnottheday Sun 13-Jul-14 23:33:33

Surely you wash whites with other whites so there's no chance of running? Argh I knew I was wrong. My whites stay white though.

RandomMess Sun 13-Jul-14 23:45:29

I wash whites with whites but it's those odd garmets - yellow, pale blue or green, they also end up in my white wash!!!

Learnt my lesson with the red/pink/purple wash and bung one in.

I am just anal about my laundry though. Nearly had kitten when dh started deviating from the permitted dark washes!

lighteningmcmama Sun 13-Jul-14 23:57:49

Thanks all. I separate washes, whites, lights and darks, and don't use colour catcher. But bc of dds eczema I've started washing bedsheets at 90 and her clothes at 60, and I can't subdivide that into whites etc! So that's where the colour catcher gets used. But now I think of it at those temperatures plus the extra rinse to remove detergent traces I think the colour catcher will be well and truly annihilated by the end of it...

pieinthesky123 Thu 17-Jul-14 22:23:33

I tried to reuse them twice or even three times. However, after a while, my machine stopped emptying and dh had to investigate and he found that the colour catcher sheets had caused the problem. Think they ended up in the filter thingy but they had really disintegrated causing a block. If you put them in a net bag that might stop it or physically checking it is removed in a whole sheet after the wash.

IamMummyhearmeROAR Fri 18-Jul-14 09:18:16

I just buy them from the pound shop and the cheaper ones do the job just as well. At £1 for 24 I don't see the point of reusing

LightastheBreeze Fri 18-Jul-14 09:19:54

As Pie says, be careful they don't end up going down to the filter as this also happened to me and I thought my machine had broken. DH was not very happy when he retrieved a colour catcher from the filter.

i always use a net bag for mine now and re-use them several times.

lighteningmcmama Fri 18-Jul-14 11:05:06

Thanks all!I will Check out the pound shop ones! I mostly use a net bag for it now (when I can find the bag!) Because I've also had one stuck in the filter which wasn't fun at all shock

Gullygirl Fri 18-Jul-14 11:17:32

I've stopped using them after my machine stopped draining and spinning.Had to get the repair man out, he had to dismantle the machine and found about ten of the buggers stuck behind the motor.
$120 later.....

lighteningmcmama Fri 18-Jul-14 17:55:01

thats pretty scary gullygirl! but i cant stop using them they're a necessity for me. i'm meticulous about checking for them when the wash comes out though so if anything only one would get stuck. but hopefully even that wont happen with the mesh bags, which ive managed to find now!

BertieBotts Fri 18-Jul-14 19:20:29

Yeah my old landlord had a total ban on them because he had problems caused by them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now