How do you wash a duvet?

(37 Posts)
BertieBotts Thu 10-Jul-14 19:13:30

I'm guessing I can't stick one in my normal 6kg machine? It's a double size.

Nope!... you need a laundrette with either ectra large machines or a dry cleaning service

LoveMyBoots Thu 10-Jul-14 19:16:15

Local launderette or dry cleaners? I think it's too big for a domestic washing machine.

BertieBotts Thu 10-Jul-14 19:17:28

It reeks blush think I'll go for a launderette! Can you wash pillows as well or will they go all lumpy?

TheFairyCaravan Thu 10-Jul-14 19:21:23

I washed the kids' duvets in the machine a couple of weeks ago. I've got an 11kg washer, it fitted a king size and a double (separately) with ease. It wouldn't fit my super king though sad.

My machine has a special programme for duvets and pillows.

PigletJohn Thu 10-Jul-14 21:10:22

6kg is too small, but you might get a lightweight summer duvet in.

Take it to the laundrette, their big machines can swallow a big duvet.

But take it home and hang it on the washing line on a sunny, windy day to dry it. The laundrette driers will cost a fortune. You have to dry it fast or it will go mouldy.

When it has been on the line and seems fully dry, you can take it to the laundrette and give in 15 mins of heat just for reassurance before you put it in a box (not a plastic bag) to store until winter.

However if you have a large modern drier, it may be roomier than your washing machine. The duvet must have plenty of space to tumble around.

Birkenvegas Thu 10-Jul-14 21:13:34

Yep launderette with their lovely big machines. I have washed pillows before and they went lovely and puffy and soft after a quick go in the dryer

BertieBotts Thu 10-Jul-14 22:07:35

We don't have a tumble drier, or a garden or balcony.

Not sure if it's summer or winter - how would I tell?

Mini05 Thu 10-Jul-14 22:57:54

By the tog rating summer 4.5 tog winter 10.5 or 12.0 or 13.5
The lighter it feels the lower the tog

wowfudge Thu 10-Jul-14 23:28:14

Your local launderette will have a price for washing and drying duvets of different sizes. Ours did a brilliant job on a huge milky coffee stain (the mug got dropped) on one of our duvets and pre-treated it, etc at no extra cost.

ouryve Thu 10-Jul-14 23:31:52

Deffo laundrette. Though ours charges half the price of a new duvet. The only thing that hasn't tempted me to just ditch it and but new is the fact that they're all covered with sweaty polyester, these days, since cotton prices skyrocketed.

dottygamekeeper Thu 10-Jul-14 23:38:45

Our local dry cleaners/laundry charges £10 to do a duvet.

goodasitgets Fri 11-Jul-14 01:50:00

I have a 6kg machine and fitted a double duvet in. It came up lovely, I dried it after on a heated airer

OneLittleToddleTerror Fri 11-Jul-14 04:55:02

Ours charges even more. I might as well buy a new one. You need to find one with self service machines.

PigletJohn Fri 11-Jul-14 06:49:16

Yes,

PigletJohn Fri 11-Jul-14 06:49:16

Yes,

PigletJohn Fri 11-Jul-14 06:49:25

Y

PigletJohn Fri 11-Jul-14 06:49:25

Ye

PigletJohn Fri 11-Jul-14 06:49:26

Yes

PigletJohn Fri 11-Jul-14 06:57:07

Yes, certainly self-service for economy, and if you have a washing-line at home, it really will cut the cost. I recently did all the duvets except the extra-thick one that will not go in our washer, and pegged out, bringing them in at dusk and putting over the banisters just to be sure. We have had some hot, sunny weather with a light breeze. It is really important not to let them stay damp.

LightastheBreeze Fri 11-Jul-14 07:04:24

I just fitted a 9 tog duvet into our 6 kg machine, we have one of those duvets with a 9 and 4.5 tog which clips together, check the tog size on the label. The 4.5 tog one easily fits in.

ChineseFireball Fri 11-Jul-14 07:25:30

WTF?! Wash a duvet? What are you thinking? You buy a cheap one from Dunelm or Asda and then you simply replace it when it gets grubby.

* disclaimer: I am very lazy grin

Tabby1963 Fri 11-Jul-14 07:31:14

I agree with Chinese too. Donate the old ones to an animal shelter and buy new cheap from Tesco/Asda.

RonaldMcDonald Fri 11-Jul-14 07:34:55

Laundrette
My duvets cost a blinking fortune...I can't be bucking them out everytime then need a wash
faints at idea

BertieBotts Fri 11-Jul-14 08:42:38

I live in Germany and doubles are expensive here. everyone has 2 singles weirdoes they might sell some at primark though. Hmm. But it does seem wasteful to throw it away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now