Small animal stains on carpet - need help with stain removal

(9 Posts)
Numanoid Thu 19-Jun-14 18:20:32

Hello,

This is my first post on Mumsnet, although I've been reading the forums for a while, so apologies if I've chosen the wrong category - I was stuck between here and Pets!

We live in a rented property, and have guinea pigs, who live inside, in an enclosure. This was discussed with the landlord (through letting agency) and agreed to. The enclosure is a fence, and underneath we have a rug, and an old shower curtain to protect the carpet. Only now we've noticed brown patches/discolouration as in a couple of areas the shower curtain folded over and something has seeped through the rug.

I accept we will probably have to pay for a new carpet (which is fair and we will happily do), but does anyone have any ideas on a product which might remove the staining?

I'm sorry if this is a long post, just wanted to give as much info as may be necessary. smile

kazzawazzawoo Thu 19-Jun-14 20:12:52

Watching with interest- I have some stains I want to remove from the carpet in dds bedroom.

Numanoid Sat 21-Jun-14 16:07:10

I think we may be out of luck. hmm I'm going to try a few things over the next few days/weeks, will post here if anything works (although I'm beginning to think our carpet is discoloured, but still hoping it's just a stain...)

pieinthesky123 Sat 21-Jun-14 18:12:51

I was successful with Vanish spray carpet and upholstery cleaner on puppy poo mark and a sick mark.

It was on a fresh untreated stain and I used a toothbrush to work the foam in. I know yours is a Guinea pig stain but it might work. I think the worst of my stains needs treating twice. Once dried I stream cleaned the area thoroughly to disinfect.

Good luck with it.

pieinthesky123 Sat 21-Jun-14 18:20:47

Just had another though. What about hiring a rug doctor if its over a larger area. They advertise in our local Tesco and the hire is reasonable and the detergents too. Might come in useful to do at the end of the tenancy if you want to get the most out if the weekend hire and do more rooms it might save you from getting a new carpet.

mouselittle Sat 21-Jun-14 19:21:27

pet stain and odour remover from pets at home.

AuditAngel Sat 21-Jun-14 19:26:10

Coopers of stortford do a product that is meant to remove stains from mattresses. Might be worth trying that?

I'll try to link

AuditAngel Sat 21-Jun-14 19:31:34
Numanoid Thu 10-Jul-14 15:10:03

Thanks everyone, sorry I'm so late in replying! I'm going to give all of these products a go, we have a few Pets At Home stores nearby so will give them a go, and the Coopers stain remover looks to be available to buy online so that's my next port of call if the pet store can't help!

pieinthesky123 We'd thought of the Rug Doctor, but never considered leaving it until the end of our tenancy so we could use it on all the rooms, thanks for the tip. grin At least if we can't remove the stain, there'll be no other reason for the landlord/agency to complain about the carpets.

Thanks again for all the tips, it's much appreciated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now