Properly panicking... Carpet/clothes moths!!

(8 Posts)
HappyLandSpaceMan Tue 17-Jun-14 11:44:23

I am actually freaking out. I feel sick and panicky and never want to go home sadsadsadsadsad
Has anyone had them? Am I disgusting?? I clean all the time sad

HappyLandSpaceMan Tue 17-Jun-14 12:02:47

Anyone? I'm really panicking

SavoyCabbage Tue 17-Jun-14 12:25:25

I've had them. The ones I had were pantry moths and they were in my rice and flour to start with and then they spread from there.

I threw away everything in that cupboard, even if it looked fine and washed all the containers etc. in the dishwasher.

I killed all moths on sight. Then searched walls, crevices etc for maggots! It took me about a month to get rid of them completely.

Artus Tue 17-Jun-14 12:36:52

We had these, and probably still do as they are very hard to get rid of. We moved to a mixture of hard floors and new carpets. I found that flea/tick spray did help as does moving furniture regularly and hoovering, but with heavy bookcases etc this can be difficult. We even had them on the stair carpet.

If left untreated they will actually eat the pile off wool carpets. Others may have had good results with pest controll?

Nevertriedapickledegg Tue 17-Jun-14 14:36:47

We had these when we first moved into our house (Victorian). The eggs can lie dormant for years... until some nice woollen, silk or cotton clothes come along to munch on.

They don't like sunlight. We got rid of them by steaming all the clothes in the wardrobe first (if you have a steam generator iron this is easy enough but time-consuming). As its so nice at the moment you could hook your clothes over the washing line for a few hours.

While your wardrobes are empty, spray "Zero-In" moth spray. It's nasty stuff so make sure all DCs and pets are out of the house. Close the door and leave it for a while. Also if you have fish, move them to another room if poss.

It worked for us. We didn't have them in our carpets as we have wooden floors (thank god) but we know plenty of people who do and they are very difficult to treat. Good Luck smile

HappyLandSpaceMan Wed 18-Jun-14 12:09:39

Thank you all very much, i don't have the strength to face it at the moment but when I go home I will try the suggestions

SmallPress Wed 18-Jun-14 12:39:20

Don't freak out too much.

We get them coming in from a vent into the the other flats - we have wooden floors, etc, so not much place for them to hide.

Get some of these, and hang or tape them in dark places all around your home. They attract the moths with pheremones and the moths stick to them and die. On the one hand, the sticky paper covered with moth bodies is a bit disgusting, on the other, you can really see how bad a problem you have (or not, if you don't get many on the paper).

SongsAboutB Wed 18-Jun-14 12:51:07

I've had them for a while and they are difficult to eradicate, especially as I don't want to use extremely toxic methods. These pheromone moth traps are very good, I tried them for the first time this year and they attract and trap all the male moths. They have such a strong sexy lady moth smell that when I first unwrapped them in the kitchen (where I have never seen a moth) loads of moths came flying into the kitchen from other parts of the house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now