I need recommendations for duvets and a vacuum cleaner.

(25 Posts)
ilovecrunchies Sun 15-Jun-14 09:13:29

We are moving back to the UK in a few weeks. I need to do a very large household shop and need a few pointers.

Can you please help me out with the following. Thanks in advance smile

1) I need to buy duvets for the family. I need to be snug in winter and cool in summer. I don't have a budget on this as sleep is important to me and good bed linen is an investment. Please recommend tog, type of filling etc. Also pillows! I would also prefer to be able to wash them in my washing machine.

2) I need a new vacuum cleaner. We will have floors that are carpeted, wooden (oak) and tiles. I just dumped my Karcher which was a pain in the neck and kept tipping over. I need 1 very good vacuum cleaner that can do all my floors and won't scratch them.

wowfudge Sun 15-Jun-14 23:02:34

Pillows - we have M&S ones that 'love to be washed' and don't go lumpy, but we've had them years so I don't know whether they still sell them. I googled the name and Dreams sell them. If they are the same they are great.

Duvets - depends what you like and whether anyone has any allergies. I'd go for a two part duvet you can use separately in warmer months or together in winter. Hollow fibre filling traps air against the body to insulate and is synthetic so less chance of an allergic reaction than down filled.

NormHonal Sun 15-Jun-14 23:09:14

Duvets - we have a fabulous two-part pop-together one from John Lewis (but it was in a "clearance" so not hideously expensive) and it is brilliant. Hot in winter, and in summer/spring it's in two parts which is very useful as extra bedding for guests and sleepovers. No clue on wash ability as yet blush as I tend to take them to the dry cleaners.

Vacuum cleaner - Miele or Bosch, although I love my handheld Dyson for in-between crumbs etc. I wouldn't get a Dyson as a main vacuum again, they seem to break quite frequently.

sooperdooper Sun 15-Jun-14 23:10:35

Get a Dyson vacuum cleaner, I've had mine years and they're brilliant, just get the best one you can from their range in your budget

NormHonal Sun 15-Jun-14 23:11:22
givehimaninch Mon 16-Jun-14 21:39:16

I recently got the same duvet as NormHonal - it is lovely and soft!

Miele all the way for vacuum cleaners - usually top of Which? reports and not that expensive either. I love mine, I really do.

RandomMess Mon 16-Jun-14 21:43:00

I would get silk duvets - amazing, really light and not at all sweaty, expensive but worth every penny.

miele vacuum all the way too.

fivepies Mon 16-Jun-14 21:45:48

Duvets - we have the dual John Lewis ones. 4.5 plus 9.5 tog I think. Ours are superking so have to go to the dry cleaner to be dried.
I buy cheap polyester pillows that can be washed and dried quickly. I do this often and they stay the same shape.
Vaccuum cleaners - definitely Miele. We have a cylinder that has a parquet floor head (for wooden floors generally). Ours is 4 years old and going strong after heavy use (2 big dogs!). One of the heads broke recently so I phoned Miele. They sent a replacement for free. I love my Miele.

Waswondering Mon 16-Jun-14 21:49:04

The John Lewis clearance starts end of June/early July ish, and often has "special buys" for bedding. Might be worth waiting till then for very good offers on bedding/towels etc which are high quality and can be delivered to your chosen address.

springbabydays Mon 16-Jun-14 21:51:28

Dyson vacuum cleaner. Get a reconditioned one if you can't afford new, still excellent.

RandomMess Mon 16-Jun-14 21:52:11

Link to pure silk duvets, they do silk mix too which are less expensive, again like the others you can buy a 9.5tog & 4.5 tog and they are design to join together.

www.soakandsleep.com/silk/luxury-pure-silk-duvet.html

I know they are expensive but they were a luxury that have helped improve my sleep massively.

amistillsexy Mon 16-Jun-14 21:59:11

My duvet is a 13 tog goose down one that I love. It is cozy in winter (although I tend to layer on extra patchwork quilts because I'm nesh), and light and airy enough for summer.

As for a vacuum, until a month ago, I'd be saying Henry every time, but that was before my Henry died and was replaced by my new love...a Miele (bought in the sale for only £50 more than a Henry would have cost), which is absolutely amazing. My cream carpets look like new shock

Dietagainmonday Mon 16-Jun-14 22:02:35

It has to be a Miele. Mine has lasted 8 years and suction is still like it was first time I used it.

betold Tue 17-Jun-14 07:09:51

I agree with Random, love my silk duvet! I also have to have down pillows, can't stand any hollow fibre ones.

Apparently M&S sale starts this week sometime, might be worth a look for bedding...

camflower Wed 25-Jun-14 19:55:46

Wool duvet from baavet. I slept under the finest goose down for years but now I am a total convert to wool! Really does regulate your temperature so you don't get sweaty. Love, love love it! And Miele vacuum too.

Sandthorn Wed 25-Jun-14 21:31:17

Wool 4-seasons duvet from the wool room: never sweaty. And Miele cat&dog vacuum cleaner.

MrWalletwithMothsonboard Thu 26-Jun-14 06:57:57

I am another Miele fan. We have two, one upstairs and one down. Simply the best IMO. Hate dysons - clunky heavy plastic monsters.

junemami Thu 26-Jun-14 07:22:34

Second a wool duvet from baavet, though haven't tried their pillows yet, and miele hoover.

trinners88 Thu 26-Jun-14 07:40:35

I love my miele too!

Waswondering Thu 26-Jun-14 07:55:21

JL clearance is now live!

CleanAllThebastardThings Sat 28-Jun-14 21:40:56

Love my silk duvet, worth every penny.

FairyPenguin Sat 28-Jun-14 21:46:27

We have a SEBO vacuum cleaner and it is the best one I have ever used. The man who cleaned our carpets when we bought our house recommended it - he uses them.

We used to own a Dyson upright. It was very heavy and cumbersome.

PigletJohn Sat 28-Jun-14 21:46:38

for vacuum, cleaners, you can't get better than a Miele. They are not very cheap.

Consider the downstairs nearest the front and back doors, where most dirt comes in. If it is hard flooring, such as boards or tiles, a cylinder vac will do best, and will also be better for stairs and cars. If it is mostly carpet, an upright with beaters will be better.

Uprights have more mechanism so it is more expensive to make a really good one, than a really good cylinder. The uprights do have a hose attachment as well.

If you can afford it, and have room, an upstairs and a downstairs vac are a useful luxury.

Pancakeflipper Sat 28-Jun-14 21:53:59

Vac - Sebo.

retractablepencils Sat 28-Jun-14 22:11:54

miele cat & dog

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now