Is this a good idea or could I electrocute myself...?

(25 Posts)
MostlyCake Sat 14-Jun-14 18:25:25

To clean a stick blender by pressing the button to whizz it while having the end in the sink full of water?

I sort of think that since you can whizz soup the electrics must be up the other end of the handle. I'm I rift or am I going to electrocute myself?

Cardinal Sat 14-Jun-14 18:26:26

I think it might be ok? Soups are watery, so it must be waterproof at that end?

Don't listen to just me though. My last one melted and ruined my guacamole.

SideOfFoot Sat 14-Jun-14 18:45:37

I think you should be ok. It's a good idea actually, I've just bought a stick blender and might give that a try. I'd just be careful that the water in the sink didn't spray everywhere.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 14-Jun-14 20:12:15

I shove mine in the top rack of the dishwasher, should be fine!

MostlyCake Sat 14-Jun-14 20:56:50

dame the dishwasher?? Plug and all?!

ExcuseTypos Sat 14-Jun-14 21:01:07

I just put the end bit in the dishwasher- never put the plug in there, obviously.

I don't like the idea of whizzing it in the sink, with it pluged in. What would happen if you dropped it in the sink? I think you'd get a shock

SweetsForMySweet Sat 14-Jun-14 21:12:29

Not worth risking your life op IMHO. Could you detach the top and in some soapy water instead?

flippingtalc Sat 14-Jun-14 21:44:31

Yes I do this mine doesn't detach, so quick blast in soapy water cleans it in seconds. I know bit dangerous but never looks properly clean otherwise

ExcuseTypos Sat 14-Jun-14 21:50:19

I think your mad to put a plugged in appliance in the sink! Honestly it's not worth it. Just put it in the dishwasher or scrub it, unplugged, in hot soapy water.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 14-Jun-14 21:53:03

But why is putting the end into water any different to putting it into a pan of soup?

Its still wet.

sleepyhead Sat 14-Jun-14 21:54:37

That's the way everyone cleans a stick blender surely? confused

If you dropped it in the sink (although obv just don't do that) then it would switch off because you wouldn't be pressing the button any more, and you would switch it off at the wall and unplug before reaching into the water to retrieve it (if you want to live).

AtAmber Sat 14-Jun-14 21:55:52

Put some soapy water in a jug then whizz the blender in it.

Hassled Sat 14-Jun-14 21:58:11

I whizz it in a mug of water rather than a sink of water because in my head that makes the world of difference and will prevent electrocution.

MostlyCake Sat 14-Jun-14 22:57:07

Mine is a cheapo bender which doesn't come apart unfortunately. I did feel like I was taking my life in my hands putting it in the sink so I probably won't do it again but I genuinely don't understand why it's ok to put it in the same depth of soup?

ExcuseTypos Sat 14-Jun-14 23:30:44

Because the sink is far bigger than a pan of soup. So the who thing including the electric bits, would be in the water.

What if a wasp stung you, or you heard your child screaming or you just generally got a fright. (Like the screaming woman on Catherine Tatewink)
I'd be worried I'd drop it in the sink, then forgetting it was pugged in, put my hands in the water to get it out. I'd then drop down dead and my poor children would find my bodysad

ExcuseTypos Sat 14-Jun-14 23:31:03

Whole thing

Optimist1 Sat 14-Jun-14 23:56:01

I've always use this method of cleaning mine - the "electric bits" don't go anywhere near the water, Typos because you're just holding it as deep in the sink as you did in the soup!

idontlikealdi Sun 15-Jun-14 00:06:10

I just rinse the stick bit. I'm a bit lazy.

ExcuseTypos Sun 15-Jun-14 09:50:52

I know Optimist but if you drop it in the sink, (see senarios above) then put your hand in to get it out, as its pluged in, you will get a shock.

I can see by your username that you don't think of worse case scenario
like I do

QuizzicalCat Sun 15-Jun-14 09:56:48

I'd fill a jug with soapy water and whizz in there. If you drop it you'll also wash the work surface and floor rather than blowing yourself up grin.

ExcuseTypos Sun 15-Jun-14 10:23:33

Good compromise there Quiz. Saftey firstwink

CharmQuark Sun 15-Jun-14 18:18:30

I'm sure if you were to drop the while thing in the sink and water got on the electric bit it would instantly short out / trip your fuses.

MostlyCake Mon 16-Jun-14 18:08:09

I didn't put it in the sink tonight but rinsed under the tap. Too scared!

MostlyCake Mon 16-Jun-14 18:08:43

Just in case you were all on the edge of your seats waiting for another exciting stick blender update....

thepiggotupandslowlywalkedaway Thu 19-Jun-14 19:23:53

I've done it, and am still alive. It is a good idea to make sure that there aren't any dishcloths in the sink, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now