something lurking in my chimney

(4 Posts)
Youhaveafriendinme Fri 13-Jun-14 20:42:03

Just heard a flurry of scrabbling, followed by sooty clouds billowing over me and toddler dd sad So I'm thinking its a bird or a rat, but nothing I can do about it tonight. It's a gas fire set in an old victorian chimney, so whatever it is is lurking behind the modern fireplace where I can't get to it anyway.
So, apart from the unidentified monster in my chimney, I'm a bit worried about the dust - is it likely to be hazardous at all or just old bog standard soot that got dislodged by all the flapping / scurrying? do I need to do anything except hoover up all the black dust and spend a boring hour damp dusting?
God, I hope it isn't a rat.

TwoLeftSocks Fri 13-Jun-14 20:49:17

That sounds very familiar, we've had two pigeons fall down our chimney, including one of the falling behind the gas fire surround.
Pain.in.the.arse.

The dust probably isn't any more than soot, have you got an old towel, curtain or dustsheet you can put out in front of the fireplace for tonight, just to catch anymore that comes out?

We ended up pretty much taking our mantlepiece apart and DH trapped it somehow in a little clarks shoebox.

Youhaveafriendinme Fri 13-Jun-14 21:10:24

Ah, thanks, yes an old towel is a good idea. Just having a very big glass of wine so I don't have to think about the scrabbling ...

TwoLeftSocks Fri 13-Jun-14 21:34:22

Very sensible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now