Steam mop on karndean flooring yay or nay?

(10 Posts)
LauraPashley Thu 05-Jun-14 18:56:36

That is my 1st world problem for this weekend!

captainmummy Fri 06-Jun-14 08:51:09

Def not. I've got karndean and was warned about steam mops! they lift the glue, apparently.

Good enough for me! No mopping here...

tryingtocatchthewind Fri 06-Jun-14 08:55:54

I read not but I think you can ask for different type of glue that withstand higher temps. Ask your supplier but I'd work on the assumption 'nay'

I'm curious about why they're OK on vinyl and not karndean, which is thicker and is stuck down better. Maybe the manufacturer is just covering their arises?

captainmummy Fri 06-Jun-14 09:41:08

I don't think they are OK on vinyl, certainly not on vinyl tiles. They are OK on sheet vinyl.
My friend uses one on her wood floor and wonders why the sheen has come off

LauraPashley Fri 06-Jun-14 20:51:45

Thanks all! I did think that would be the answer. I'm just concerned about getting it germ free! I have a dog and 2 kids, one potty training - the floor can get grotty! We just used diluted bleach on our old floor, but don't fancy doing that to the karndean!

LBDD Sat 07-Jun-14 09:01:23

Have a steam mop and use at least twice a week (dog and kids here too). Never had a problem yet and brings floor up so much better and with much less effort. Once mopped the old way then steamed just to see and the cloth was brown with dirt still.

MulberryPeony Sat 07-Jun-14 15:37:24

We have Amtico and I have occassionally used a Polti steam generator on it without issue. I find mopping easier - mainly because I can employ child labour to get it done ;)

cece Sat 07-Jun-14 18:48:20

I have Amtico and only ever steam clean it. It's fine so far! Never occurred to me not to use it.

sanfairyanne Sat 07-Jun-14 18:50:59

mine are still stuck down!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now