Garden table just shattered into thousands of pieces - should that happen?

(6 Posts)
minxthemanx Sun 01-Jun-14 20:08:27

Bought a table and chairs from Tesco last summer (same ones still on sale, called Seville). Really pleased with them. The table is big and solid, the top made from a dark glass. This afternoon I was mowing the lawn and a TINY stone pinged up and hit the table. The entire lots shattered into miniscule fragments all over the lawn. I've spent hours clearing it up - we have pets as well as the DC - and have tried to block off the area where there may be any shards left. Does this sound acceptable? Surely something used by a family should be made from toughened/safety glass? Cannot believe that one small stone would shatter an entire table - thank God the kids weren't there. I'm going to talk to Tesco tomorrow, but wondered if anyone had any thoughts.

LadySybilLikesCake Sun 01-Jun-14 20:17:36

It sounds as though it was safety glass. It's kept together by a coating (the same as your oven door) but once the coating is chipped, it shatters into loads of pieces. It sounds as though it wasn't a manufacturing/Tesco's fault, the tiny stone broke the coating.

Hope this helps.

LadySybilLikesCake Sun 01-Jun-14 20:18:37
LadySybilLikesCake Sun 01-Jun-14 20:36:19

and here It wasn't a fault in the glass, it happens quite a bit and was probably because it was hit with a pebble. I'd go for wood next time.

HTH.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 01-Jun-14 20:40:20

We shattered our conservatory door doing exactly the same.

JKSLtd Sun 01-Jun-14 20:44:40

PIL went away for a weekend, came home to a shattered glass topped table in the garden. They had no idea how it happened, no mowing or anything going on. Jus tone of those mysteries - at least you know what happened to yours.

They've gone for a cast iron type thing now.
Our glass one (bought at the same time) is still going strong.

For finding bits - try taking a torch out at dusk, or getting low down in sunlight to look for reflections.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now