Where do you do your hair/make up/get ready/etc?

(21 Posts)
CrispyCrochet Fri 30-May-14 18:42:20

I am just so frustrated by this. I am a tidy person and like everything to be in "its place". But I am just clueless on where to set up my make up/cosmetics/toiletries/hair dryer/brushes/etc.

I'm American and there we just have giant bathrooms with lots of cupboards and such AND SOCKETS so I always just did it in there. Meant it was easy to clean to hair up off the floor & also any spills weren't a big deal.

But here, even in my generous sized house I am clueless. Prior to having a baby I had a "getting ready room" which seems ridiculous but I had my mirror set up with a table in that room. But now I've been kicked out. I tried doing it in the bathroom but as most normal British bathrooms there is no storage in the bathroom so where do I keep all my stuff, not to mention I need an extension lead to get my hair dryer to reach (yeah, yeah there is a reason there is no sockets in the bathroom). Most recently I've got a mirror and a cardboard box on the LANDING UPSTAIRS with my stuff in. It is just ridiculous. So I am just wondering if I am the only one with this problem or if others have it too.

I'd like a dressing table as I can probably just about fit on in my bedroom - but then surely there will be times when my DH is asleep or whatever and I'd like to use my hair dryer. We have a guest bedroom still - but I don't really feel like I can permanently set up in there as when guests come I'll have to move it all out to the landing again.

Sorry this is a bit long for what I am asking and has turned into a bit of a rant but I am looking for inspiration as to how I can solve this problem.

Thanks in advance.

mrsmopps Fri 30-May-14 19:06:32

I just keep my things in a drawer and get them out when I need to get ready.
I usually get ready on the landing at the top of the stairs.

coffeetofunction Fri 30-May-14 19:11:44

I've squeezed a dressing table in our room however in last house I used to use the front room....a little odd but that's where the best light was. I keep everything out of sight either in draws or boxes/baskets. The bathroom just isn't practical for getting ready

TheDetective Fri 30-May-14 19:14:47

I used to just do it in the bedroom regardless of sleeping DP!

Now though, sleeping baby means NO ONE WAKES THE BABY!

So I do it downstairs. I get my face on upstairs as this is quiet, sit on the edge of the bed, with my hand held mirror. Then I come downstairs dressed, and dry or style my hair with brushes/dryer/straighteners and other hair related stuff kept in the sideboard in the living/dining room.

Works fine for me!

CrispyCrochet Fri 30-May-14 19:21:03

Mrsmops, I'm glad I'm not the only one doing my hair on the landing. I do tend to do my make up (when I get a chance!) in the front room as that is where the light is best.

& giant bathrooms with cupboards & counter space is the perfect place for getting ready. But those just don't exist except in mansions here. Maybe I can find a dressing table on gum tree.

FidgetPie Fri 30-May-14 19:21:31

I put my makeup on in the bathroom (stored in the cabinet there - only about 4 items so doesn't need much space) and I brush my hair in our bedroom (for no particular reason) I have long straight hair and don't style it other that brushing it so that may not help your situation.

DurhamDurham Fri 30-May-14 19:26:08

In the little spare room which I have commandeered as my own. It's where I do my make up and hair and throw my clothes when I can't be bothered to hang them up/ put in the laundry smile

BobPatandIgglePiggle Fri 30-May-14 19:38:06

I've got a tall, thin chest of drawers from ikea in the bedroom. The lid lifts and inside is a mirror. I stand in front of it and dry / do my hair. My hairdryer etc live in the drawers so it's nice and tidy.

I put my face on in the living room as it's got the best light and my makeup bag just lives in my handbag

HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs Fri 30-May-14 19:43:23

Bob you beat me to it. I have the same Ikea tall chest of drawers with a folding mirror. All of my make-up sits in the little tray bit at the top, and the mirror is always lifted up.
I dry my hair downstairs if the baby is sleeping.

TheHouseatWhoCorner Fri 30-May-14 19:47:18

Hair, dress, jewellery and stuff in the bedroom.
Make up in the car (loads of space, mirrors, quiet).

BobPatandIgglePiggle Fri 30-May-14 20:11:54
CrispyCrochet Fri 30-May-14 20:50:41

Thank you so much for the ikea suggestion. Much cheaper & smaller than a dressing table. I will be getting one of these as soon as possible.

TheDetective Fri 30-May-14 20:53:17

I was too short for the ikea drawers sad Plus I prefer to sit as it takes me 20 mins for basic make up, 45 mins if I do eyeliner. Always has done. Yes I'm slow. No I don't know why!

I threw my ikea drawers away in the end!

libertytrainers Fri 30-May-14 21:11:13
douchbag Fri 30-May-14 21:42:35

I've also got one of the tall drawers from ikea. I keep my make-up in the top drawer too x

craftysewer Sat 31-May-14 08:42:22

I have a small dressing table in the bedroom under a big sash window, so loads of light. I dry my hair there all the time even if DH is in bed, but he's worn ear plugs and an eye mask for years every since the Dd's were born (they are now 19 and 21) so not even a bomb going off would wake him. grin

CateBlanket Sat 31-May-14 11:50:44

Google "Ikea dressing table" images, there are lots of ideas there and they have links to YouTube videos where women give you tours of their dressing table and cosmetic storage grin

And we Brits might not have sockets in our bathrooms but we can boil a kettle in the blink of an eye!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 31-May-14 23:34:03

I keep everything in the utility room and do make up in the kitchen while organising breakfast!

JustWonderingAbout Sat 31-May-14 23:37:36

Make up in car before setting off. Can't beat the natural lighting (and kids are strapped in)!

Cantremembermyid Fri 06-Jun-14 12:53:04

have the same problem with hair drying and no sockets in the bathroom. We now have an extension cord running from the landing to the bathroom so we can dry our hair there. very trendy that white extension cord hmm but up to now we haven't been able to bribe an electrician into installing a socket in the bathroom hmm

newlark Fri 06-Jun-14 14:28:45

My hairdryer and hairbrushes/hairspray live almost permanently in the spare bedroom. I got fed up with constantly having to unplug it in the bedroom so no one tripped on the cable and the hairdryer only just reached to the mirror because of the position of the socket. On the rare occasions we have guests (every couple of months or so) it just moves to the floor in my bedroom temporarily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now