dye stain on vinyl floor - help!

(14 Posts)
runner2 Thu 22-May-14 10:18:19

My orange hot water bottle which was lying on the bathroom floor has got wet and left a big bright orange stain on the vinyl flooring. How do I get it off? So far have tried Barkeepers Friend and a Flash Magic Eraser, but neither worked. Any tips, please?

wowfudge Thu 22-May-14 14:12:38

Cif on a nylon scourer pad or biological washing powder sprinkled onto to damp vinyl and left for a while or Vanish sprayed on and left for 10 minutes and rinsed? - I'm just trying to think of things that won't wreck the vinyl.

Is the mark from the rubber hwb or from some sort of cover on it?

runner2 Thu 22-May-14 16:27:30

Thanks wowfudge. It's the rubber hwb that has got wet on the outside and stained the floor. Since I posted I've also tried a diluted bleach solution and that hasn't worked: will try your suggestions next.

OwlCapone Thu 22-May-14 16:28:58

Maybe hairspray? It removes permanent marker from things.

Iamthetortoise Thu 22-May-14 16:35:16

Have you tried nail polish remover.

wowfudge Thu 22-May-14 17:42:04

Let us know how you get on - sounds like a nightmare!

PigletJohn Thu 22-May-14 22:12:09

Some plastics dissolve dyes into the surface, in which case it will not clean off, because it is not lying on the surface. You may have seen red stain from tomatoes in spag bog and curries.

However it may fade with some years of sunlight.

PigletJohn Thu 22-May-14 22:12:28

Some plastics dissolve dyes into the surface, in which case it will not clean off, because it is not lying on the surface. You may have seen red stain from tomatoes in spag bog and curries.

However it may fade with some years of sunlight.

runner2 Fri 23-May-14 16:40:00

Hi. Well I've now also tried the biological washing powder, nail varnish remover, and hairspray - no joy. The stain has faded, but just can't shift it - aaggh! Still to try Vanish spray, but have to say hopes are fading... sad

wowfudge Fri 23-May-14 19:59:30

Which thing worked best do you think? If one worked a bit where the others didn't then it may be worth repeated goes.

runner2 Sat 24-May-14 14:33:10

Hmm. I think the diluted bleach probably did the better job, so I'll give that a couple more goes...

Shonajay Tue 27-May-14 00:39:07

Soak a cloth in whatever works best and leave overnight?

Lanabelle Tue 27-May-14 00:57:55

try turps or white spirit if it faded with nail polish remover

Solo Tue 27-May-14 01:13:38

Hairspray, wipe, alcohol or surgical spirit on cotton wool. This got permanent hair dye out of a new skirt last year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now