What are those marks on sweatpants fabric after washing?

(10 Posts)
foxbasealpha Thu 22-May-14 10:15:38

Sometimes after washing (usually navy) hoodies, sweatpants and some cotton tees, there are dark marks on the fabric which look like water marks but the marks aren't wet... They seem to appear and disappear randomly so I don't think they are stains. In fact, happened recently when I washed something for the first time. Anyone know what causes them? I use both liquid and powder detergents (not at the same time) and not sure if it happens when I use one or the other. Ideas??

foxbasealpha Thu 22-May-14 12:41:55

Anyone?

Catflap1 Thu 22-May-14 21:31:05

No idea but I noticed my dd's school Cardi (Royal blue) has a strange whitish water mark thing on, bloody annoying rewarded and it's still there!

napkin Fri 23-May-14 18:38:35

I have noticed this too, on navy things mostly and mainly sweatpant material. I use liquids for dark stuff so thinking it is maybe what is causing it, that or the rinse on my machine. What detergent do you use? I use persil.

foxbasealpha Sat 24-May-14 01:39:45

Thanks Napkin - was beginning to think I was the only one... I usually use whatever is on special and haven't kept track of when they do and don't appear - I need to do a controlled experiment (but was hoping someone would just have the answer!)

e1y1 Sat 24-May-14 02:20:07

There's a very high chance that it's fabric softener, sometimes with synthetic fibres, FS leaves grease spots on dark clothes (as it's a grease based ingredient) washing again without FS should remove them.

If you don't use FS then honestly I am stumped, but let me have a look around.

HTH

e1y1 Sat 24-May-14 02:22:14
foxbasealpha Sat 24-May-14 09:52:56

Thank you!! Yes, I do use fabric softener and that makes sense. Might have to do a separate load for the clothes that get affected by this.

e1y1 Sun 25-May-14 13:38:37

No worries smile

MaryPoppinsBag Tue 03-Jun-14 17:51:26

Do you mean white marks? Or the little lines that look like tide marks?
I find the tide marks worse when the spin is higher or if washing is left in the washer and is allowed to sit creased up. I use a slower spin setting or pop them in the drier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now