Little moths are in every room!

(19 Posts)
Sithsleet Wed 21-May-14 23:49:56

I am sleeping downstairs in my house and am now sleeping in my living room because every night about 5 moths are flying around my house room. I think this part is just my fear of them but I get really itchy and very uncomfortable around my genitals. They are small and when stopped their wings are closed and spotty. These moths are very small and if someone could identify the type I would appreciate it.

PigletJohn Thu 22-May-14 11:54:18

6mm long? 12mm long?

Do you have woollen carpets?

What moth-killers do you use in your wardrobe?

Have you used a fly-spray yet?

Sithsleet Thu 22-May-14 12:24:24

I haven't tried any sprays, I have woolen carpets and they are everywhere at night. They are about 6mm.

PigletJohn Thu 22-May-14 13:27:11

I only only know about carpet moths and clothes moths. They prefer walking to flying. They mostly live in undisturbed areas such as edges of carpets, and underneath or behind furniture where it does not get vacuumed much.

Have a look in such places, and especially in cupboards and wardrobes. Examine all your woollen clothes carefully, especially anything old.

PigletJohn Thu 22-May-14 13:30:26

Are the moths brown? What colour are the spots and head?

Sithsleet Thu 22-May-14 16:39:33

I am not at the house right now but they had a white head and black wings. Can't remember the spots tho.

Sithsleet Thu 22-May-14 16:42:41

This is them.

PigletJohn Thu 22-May-14 16:51:00

so you've identified it as the White-shouldered house moth

Sithsleet Fri 23-May-14 00:25:34

yes, anyways thanks, should i get a moth ball or any better things?

PigletJohn Fri 23-May-14 02:17:55

You need to find out where they are living. Food cupboard, carpet, wardrobe?

VivaLeBeaver Fri 23-May-14 22:50:14

I had these for weeks/months a few years ago. Numbers increasing.

I had moth traps in most rooms which helped catch them but new ones kept appearing.

Then one day I went to clear all the junk out the under stairs cupboard and found a heaving mass of moth larva/pupae. Hundreds of maggot type things all hatching into moths. They had eaten a cloth bag in there, a rucksack and various other fabric things.

I threw everything out inc the carpet in there. Sprayed with high strength moth spray and it worked.

I think you need to hunt for the source, wardrobes, under beds, under sofas. Anywhere dark and not often disturbed.

underactivethyroidmum Sat 24-May-14 15:02:21

I had a similar problem but then we got fleas:-(( I fleabombed the house and although it didn't murder the fleas it did sort the moths out !!!

curiousuze Sun 25-May-14 13:58:01

Look for the source - do you have rugs stored? Clothes? Or are they food ones? If there are any in your kitchen cupboards at all, you may have to throw away anything that has been opened (including condiment bottles, jars, spices etc) as they can get in there and lay eggs - I have seen this with my own eyes in a bottle of bbq sauce, it was disgusting!

Sithsleet Mon 26-May-14 14:15:33

Okay, I am looking around the house but I have a few cupboards that could be a possibility where they are. I have a cupboard under the stairs with some old toys, rugs, stools ect. Then half way on my stairs there are two cupboards that used to have mice in it and has dust, and polystyrene wall type thing. Then I have a sort of big cupboard with dog food, Old cereal boxes and holes in the back. I will start looking but if you guys think is more likely to have moths in it please suggest. And one more thing, at night the last cupboard i said has moths all around it. I will check there, hope it isnt bad.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 26-May-14 14:54:31

The one with the moths round it night. Check there first.

Sithsleet Wed 28-May-14 00:05:35

Ok i checked and didn't fine anything :/ . But just a minute ago (00:04am) a different kind of moth started to fly around, brown fings, small ish. Didn't see it much but it was on my curtain. Anyone know what it is?

Sithsleet Wed 28-May-14 00:08:54

brow wings*

Clean out all the cupboards you've mentioned, hoover them thoroughly, wash the walls and floors. They are remarkably persistent little creatures. I had them in our understairs cupboard and they had even managed to lay eggs in the crevices where a shelf slotted into fixings on the wall. Get into every nook and cranny or they will come back as they have here, despite my best efforts

Sithsleet Wed 28-May-14 00:13:45

...... brown wings :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now