Can anyone talk me through cleaning the oven door with dishwasher tablets please?

(13 Posts)
GingerRodgers Mon 12-May-14 13:26:03

That's it really, saw this on another thread and have dishwasher tablets at the ready!
So do I just wet it a bit and rub it on? Wipe it off? Any tips?!
Thanks! smile

clam Mon 12-May-14 13:28:09

I read that on here a week or two back and got all excited so tried it. Didn't work! Was a bit like rubbing a lego brick over glass (and set my teeth on edge!).

GingerRodgers Mon 12-May-14 13:29:32

Oh no! Really? Damn it.
Have also read about using bicarb so might give that a go.

treaclesoda Mon 12-May-14 13:34:24

I've tried it and it did work for me. Good with burnt on bits on ceramic hob too.

Just wet the edge, use like a scourer. Rinse and repeat. Time consuming but very satisfying.

MrsHarryRamsden Mon 12-May-14 13:36:10

I tried it too with limited results. I actually ended up cleaning it with one of those scouring pads with the soap impregnated in it, made by mr muscle. That cleaned up the door brilliantly, can see through it for the first time in ages! blush

GinIceAndASlice Mon 12-May-14 13:38:41

My tip would be to dip it in the water not soak it and all the gunge just lifts off...I was amazed!

AdamantEve Mon 12-May-14 13:41:52

My DM gave me a tub of Astonish Oven and Cookware cleaner and that has been the only thing which has worked on my oven door, it's like a solid block of cleaner that you rub onto a wet cloth - worth a try if the dishwasher tablets don't work for you.

Spherical Mon 12-May-14 13:44:43

Does it work on the inside of the oven too or only on the glass?

Wincher Mon 12-May-14 13:49:15

I tried it but it didn't work for me. What did seem to work was a solution of biological washing powder. I ran a sink full of hot water, dissolved a scoop in there and then soaked bits of oven in it and used the water to clean the door.

GingerRodgers Mon 12-May-14 14:59:11

Right, I've used the bicarb method and with minimal effort it's bloody clean! grin Can now see my filthy oven inside though hmm so need to oven pride that tonight. Great.

Furball Mon 12-May-14 16:47:13

I'm off to give this ago with bicarb - thanks ginger for the info

Furball Mon 12-May-14 16:58:20

OMG! - that is one heck of a miracle. what was that - 10 mins? and with no effort and it's as clean as a whistle! smile

I used a persil dishwasher tab, as I'm low on bicarb.

GingerRodgers Mon 12-May-14 19:17:03

this website describes the bicarb method and apparently you can do the whole oven with it?! So I'm trying that first before oven pride.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now