Uh, oh, I'm in the doghouse.

(9 Posts)
hiddenhome Sun 11-May-14 20:47:46

Dh keeps discovering that I took certain items to the recycle centre whilst he was away hmm

Nothing of any value or sentimental attachment.

He is quietly seething.

I also chucked an old pine box away that had. Some of my stuff in and he blew his top, saying that he'd have used it.

Bloody hell, tatty old shite.

So far I've cleared ds1 and ds2's bedrooms, my area and filled 14 bin bags, a ton of old cardboard boxes and some old, cracked plastic boxes. I've cleaned and scrubbed as I've gone along too.

Don't thank me or nuffin' dh hmm

I have a sore back and he needs crisis counselling. Remind me never to move house again confused

gamerchick Sun 11-May-14 20:55:28

Hoarder?

Do you feel better though for having that huge clear out?

hiddenhome Sun 11-May-14 21:53:16

I feel great, but I can see dh is struggling. We went to Ikea and he bought a lot of plastic see through boxes and has been packing some stuff away, but I'm cross at him for complaining about trivial things when I've been working hard at it.

The first night he was back he went bananas because I'd thrown a cork out. Apparently, it was handy for recorking a bottle of opened beer, but a huge argument ensued because all my efforts and hard work were ignored for the sake of a bloody little cork.

I don't chuck his stuff out, but there are obviously casualties along the way because some of this stuff is clearly rubbish so it is going to be taken to the recycle centre.

The strangest thing I found was a narrow strip of old carpet from his parent's house. It was about 10 inches long and three inches wide confused why on earth keep that? That got chucked too.

gamerchick Sun 11-May-14 22:03:40

I think hoarding is quite a complicated thinking process isn't it? I don't understand it all that much because I'm a one in one out when it comes to stuff in the house. Do you think that maybe the more you do it the used to it he'll get or will get just get more and more stressed out?

You've done very well from the sounds of it.. maybe a bit of deep heat tomorrow to get the stiffness out?

hiddenhome Sun 11-May-14 22:40:26

Thanks for understanding. I don't think it'll get worse because he knows the new house hasn't got unlimited storage. He's ordering a large shed and is going to board the attack out, but that's all we'll have.

hiddenhome Sun 11-May-14 22:40:55

Attic, not attack grin

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 12-May-14 08:11:02

If he's boarding out the loft he will need to buy loft legs or change the insulation to a solid board type.

If he squishes the lagging the builders put down you'll lose the insulating properties and the heating bills will be high.

Dh is desperate to store things in the loft & squash my lovely loft lagging down angry

Not on my watch.

hiddenhome Mon 12-May-14 11:13:00

I think he said he was going to have the boarding above the cladding, but not compressing it ifyswim. He's pretty handy, so it should be okay.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Mon 12-May-14 16:13:32

Well done hidden sounds like you've worked really hard. grin at him getting upset about cork. My dh is a terrible hoarder so I can easily imagine his distress.

Have a lovely hot bath to try and ease your back. Hopefully he will keep his hoard in the attic or shed but hoards have a way of spilling out into other areas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now